Laptop recommendation?

I'm heading to Europe for the summer and would like to bring along CM (especially if CMBB comes out this summer). Any suggestions for a laptop? So far, a friend has suggested a Dell with 15" monitor, UXGA 32 meg video card (is that good enough?), Pentium 4 chip, 30-40 meg HD, built in modem and network card. To check email while abroad, would you suggest a wireless system (so the B&B owner doesn't flip when I ask if I can plug my modem into her phone jack)? While I don't expect to get a computer capable of playing CM for cheap, I'm not made of money either for what I would consider a secondary system.

Thanks in advance!

I don't really have any particular model/manufacturer recommendations to make concerning laptops. Most of the new ones should be able to play CM.

One of the bigger differences would be the built in graphics. Many laptops use ATI chipsets for video and these can work fine, but they do lack fog support (on the PC side, Mac-wise they're fine). A better, but more expensive option are the laptops that use the NVidia GeForce GO chipset. These will be typically found on more expensive laptops. There are other video chips out there that are fairly common on less expensive systems but probably won't support CM very well (VIA/S3 chips may have a hard time due to driver support). So basically ATI and NVidia are your best bets for laptop graphics chipsets (and ATI will be the most common).

In terms of a CPU, just about any of them should work whether it is Intel or AMD; P3, P4, Athlon, Celeron or Duron (though you will want a faster Celeron/Duron if you go that route). More speed - more money.

One thing to pay attention to that has been mentioned by members of this forum who use laptops is heat dissipation. Since CMBO (and most likely CMBB) grabs as many CPU cycles as possible this keeps the CPU very busy (when CM is in the foreground). This can result in unwanted heat build up and low battery life. Most laptop manufacturers assume that you're going to be using productivity apps that allow the CPU to run at a lower electrical current setting, which in turn reduces heat build up, lengthens battery life and allows manufacturers to design lightweight passive cooling systems to reduce overall weight. This is a problem when running CM for a long time since this is the exact opposite manner that most laptop manufacturers assume their product will be used. If you intend to play CM often and for long periods of time on the laptop you may want to look at those models that are billed as 'desktop replacements'. That's typically sales jargon for a high performance laptop, but may also mean one that is created to be run for long periods of time and may be designed with adequate cooling to accomodate such usage.

[ May 31, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I recently purchased a Dell Insprion 8200 so I could play CM on the road.

So far, it's great. That's not to say I couldn't have gotten a lot more performance for less money with a desktop, but I spend over 100 days/year on the road, so it's well worth it for me.

At the time I bought it, it was the only laptop from a major manufactuer that had the Nvida GeForce GO 64MB card as well as other features I wanted/needed, such as an integrated DVD/CD burner.

I play CM extensively on the laptop. So far, heat dissipation has not been a problem. CM does eat through the batteries, though. Therefore, I play mostly in my hotel room with an AC pickup.

So take it for what it's worth - I'm a happy mobile CM warrior.

Thanks for the great information from you both. As I mentioned, the Dell was the recommended way to go and I do want to buy a laptop that will be capable of handling CM. Why bother getting something that may have difficulties while one is on the road? The DVD and CD burner would be a welcome addition too. I will probably be playing while in my hotel room as well. May send an email or two using battery power, but that shouldn't present problems. What about power adaptors for the battery recharger and the laptop itself? Should I ask at the computer store or look for one on the Dell website? Thanks Guys!

Guest Panzer Boxb

Most vendor's AC adapters can handle any voltage you might encounter. All you would need is the correct adapter to change to the local country's plug type.