Assaulting with Bradleys

JP76er

It seems like the Bradley is very vulnerable in Shock Force. I am deathly afraid of moving them at all at the beginning of any scenario. If they're seen, they're dead. The protection of the crew & squad seems to be excellent. The problem I'm finding with the Bradleys & their inherent teams or squads, is that you have to make them acquire everything they can carry. That way if the Bradley is hit, you're likely to have a pretty intact squad with a lot of punch. There are several problems with this. If I'm fighting MOUT, I really don't want to be carrying my Javelins around. It seems like the game wants to put you're anti-tank crew on point any time you assault. You lose your Javelins quickly. Another problem is using the AT-4s. If you use Target Fire instead of Target Light, you fire all of them off. I want the capability of returning to my Bradley (Stryker too) to pick up additional firepower & ammo as needed. I always like to keep reserve amount of ammo in all units as needed. With the fear of getting my Bradleys whacked right at the 1st turn, I don't feel comfortable enough to really use them the way I want & the way I think they should be used. I can use the split squads here to kind of pull things off, but sometimes you just want a full assault squad hitting a building or enemy unit. Is this reflected real world in the Bradley? I have read about the TOWs not working correctly in the game but I think I figured what I have experienced out playing is actually pretty real. Even though my Bradley spots an enemy armor unit, it doesn't fire the TOWs. After looking a bit, it's the terrain I'm firing through. Since it's wire guided, you have to have a clear path to the unit even if you have already spotted it.

Any tactics, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Hi JP,

I would beg to differ on the vulnerability of the Bradley in SF :) They are well armoured and can absorb more firepower than a Stryker in my opinion. In my last game, in a MOUT setting, I watched in horror (I was playing as Red) as it took 5 (!) different type of RPG hits and kept on firing. It survived 2 hits from a tandem warhead RPG and shook off the rest. Even a shower of grenades wasn't enough to knock it out. After the game had ended I saw that after all that apparent punishment it had suffered one crew casualty and damaged tracks...

If you are taking them up against Red MBT's on the other hand, well, the results you are seeing are probably pretty much right on the money :)

I'm afraid the re-arming of the Bradley/Stryker after it has fired off it's ammo is out of scope for the type of battles CM:SF is simulating.

I really like to assault with Bradleys. Bradleys are better in CMSF than Strykers. And I have no any problem with vulnerability. Of course I use them cautious, slow, cover and if no cover, I use their smoke grenades.

When I unload the squad, I usually Reverse a few and I can give support fire with the autocannon. It's much more fun then Stryker's small MG...

Hi JP,

I would beg to differ on the vulnerability of the Bradley in SF :) They are well armoured and can absorb more firepower than a Stryker in my opinion. In my last game, in a MOUT setting, I watched in horror (I was playing as Red) as it took 5 (!) different type of RPG hits and kept on firing. It survived 2 hits from a tandem warhead RPG and shook off the rest. Even a shower of grenades wasn't enough to knock it out. After the game had ended I saw that after all that apparent punishment it had suffered one crew casualty and damaged tracks...

If you are taking them up against Red MBT's on the other hand, well, the results you are seeing are probably pretty much right on the money :)

I'm afraid the re-arming of the Bradley/Stryker after it has fired off it's ammo is out of scope for the type of battles CM:SF is simulating.

Thanks for your reply. The re-arming part is not for the vehicle but the load out that it contains for it's squad or team. I agree, it's definitely out of scope for the game to re-arm a vehicle. I like to leave reserve ammo or Javelins & AT-4s in the Bradley or Stryker. That way, I can use the troopers in the way I choose. If I'm fighting MOUT, I don't want to carry my Javelins. It seems like the game likes to lead point with you anti-tank team & you lose the Javelins quickly in an assault. I like to peel off a squad or anti-tank team to return to the supporting vehicle. The Bradley is awesome in support of MOUT, I just feel like I lose them too quickly by RPG or missile. This is why I'm more apt to acquire everything before dismounting. It sounds like it's more my tactics than the vehicles. Any help on tactics is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I really like to assault with Bradleys. Bradleys are better in CMSF than Strykers. And I have no any problem with vulnerability. Of course I use them cautious, slow, cover and if no cover, I use their smoke grenades.

When I unload the squad, I usually Reverse a few and I can give support fire with the auto cannon. It's much more fun then Stryker's small MG...

I agree on the Bradley being better than the Stryker though I like both. The going slow & smoke I do use. I have no military experience, so any suggestions on tactics are greatly appreciated. In a few battles, I have had a mixed force with Bradleys & M1A1s. If I attack in force in an assault, I lose my Bradleys very quick. In the real world, how would you plan your assault in a similar situation? Do you lead with the tanks to a certain point & then bring up your infantry in the Bradleys/Strykers? Do you leave them dismounted & use any Javelins to help sweep your attack point?

Once again, I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

JP76er,

Regarding the Target/Target Light issue and the special equipment, there's a thread over in the main forum talking about that. Oh, I started it. :)

Regards,

Ken

Thanks Ken! I'll be checking that thread out. I'm enjoying the feedback, it's from Holland, Hungary & the USA. I think that's pretty cool.

I respect any replies or any hints. I really love the game, I just want to learn the proper tactics so my cyber troops don't frag me.

Hi JP,

OK, I misread your first post about re-arming the vehicles themselves :)

Bardosy hit the nail on the head re:MOUT tactics...go slow and cautiously, supress any likely building which might contain enemy units with your cannons and keep the Brad as far back as you can. Use your troops to find the enemy then manouvre to within LOS to engage them. Plans have a bad habit of falling apart when making unexpected contact, and unless you are hit with a well aimed RPG-29, the Brad's armour is usually good enough to let you re-evaluate what the next move will be after that 'where the hell did that come from' moment :)

Hi JP,

OK, I misread your first post about re-arming the vehicles themselves :)

Bardosy hit the nail on the head re:MOUT tactics...go slow and cautiously, supress any likely building which might contain enemy units with your cannons and keep the Brad as far back as you can. Use your troops to find the enemy then manouvre to within LOS to engage them. Plans have a bad habit of falling apart when making unexpected contact, and unless you are hit with a well aimed RPG-29, the Brad's armour is usually good enough to let you re-evaluate what the next move will be after that 'where the hell did that come from' moment :)

'where the hell did that come from'

LOL I have had many of those. I'm getting read to play some battles with the Bradleys & apply some new tactics. I 'll see if I do better.

also, at least in MOUT, your infantry are a lot tougher and spot a lot better than your AFVs . I think you want to screen, scout, and advance with your infantry with you vehicle hiding where they can pop out and shoot keyholed or well covered spotted enemies. an enemy RPG will probably hit at close range like in MOUT and one will kill an AFV or usually up to a few of a squad. Id rather have a few wounded infantry than a dead bradly. And youll maybe spot and surpress with the rest of the squad, which you wont do with a blown up AFV.

I've learned that if you move and reposition (I try to reposition every Bradley once every turn unless it´s doing vital supression) your Bradley's frequently. They'll usually stay out of harm. Also supression is extremely important. The disaster recipie is to leave Bradley's where they are in turn one.

I've learned that if you move and reposition (I try to reposition every Bradley once every turn unless it´s doing vital supression) your Bradley's frequently. They'll usually stay out of harm. Also supression is extremely important. The disaster recipie is to leave Bradley's where they are in turn one.

I've learned the hard lesson about leaving a Bradley in one spot, especially turn 1. The enemy isn't stupid. That's like leaving them a great BBQ cooking. They're there in an instant.

Thanks for all the pointers. I am getting better. I've run a few battles & leading with the infantry scouting has my best success. You still leave a few knocked out Bradleys, but you keep the majority & their weapons can really wreak havoc. And that's a good thing!