A few issue on modern combat

as a former IDF soldier ,i wonder about some issues in CMSF, that

makes the game feels not too realistic to me.

RPG and other AT weapons - the demage of an rpg shot

into a house can be very deadly. unlike CMSF, when you can

get 3-4 of these into a house without a demage

to infantry inside it. even psychologicly, it will have

a big effect.

Door to door combat - when doing this, infantry will throw graneds

into the room, than breach the door. in CMSF they just run in.

Mine clearing - minefields are cleared by a special missle, blasting

most of the mindfield.

Bridging - a special vehicle used to cross water canals and AT canals.

Evacuation - the case of wounded soldiers is a sagnificent

issue in a combat. sometimes a combat lasts hours just because

of the evac itself. i really think wounded soldiers must be evac

by a vehicle or a strecher and not just disapear. plus, wounded soldiers that arn't getting a medical help should die, and this must affect the score.

Apache - One of the afficent AT unit. has accurate

AT missles (8), and able to take a "picture" of the battle targets

and than destroy them safely when shooting behind a hill or mountain (without a direct LOF). in the game, the apache is for fireworks.

also, an helicopter isn't "coming around". and is able to give a constent

support in the battle field.

post-29207-141867620682_thumb.jpg

post-29207-141867620682_thumb.jpg

post-29207-141867620684_thumb.jpg

Those are all great points.

My guess is that they are the way they are in the game because the abstraction of individual tactical actions (nades into houses during a breach) is in line with the scale of the game.

In terms of the relative weakness/strength of buildings I think that's just a nod to the Syrian forces so they can hole up someplace. There are videos all over the net of what a SAW can do to most rural residential buildings...let alone some kind of anti-armor weapon like an RPG!

The wounded soldiers issue is addressed in the game. If you move a healthy squad near a wounded one they will try to patch them up. If you leave the wounded squad alone they may die. After a scenario ends the chances of wounded soldiers dieing is taken into account to compensate for the chance they may die from wounds, or en route to the medical attention they require.

Door to door combat - when doing this, infantry will throw graneds

into the room, than breach the door. in CMSF they just run in.

You'll see more appropriate behaviour here if you give the unit a waypoint just outside the house, pause with a target light command into the house at that waypoint for 15 seconds and then assault. Otherwise you're just ordering your units to run into the house without prepping it first.

Bridging - a special vehicle used to cross water canals and AT canals.

Evacuation - the case of wounded soldiers is a sagnificent

issue in a combat. sometimes a combat lasts hours just because

of the evac itself. i really think wounded soldiers must be evac

by a vehicle or a strecher and not just disapear. plus, wounded soldiers that arn't getting a medical help should die, and this must affect the score.

Bridging is WAY beyond the scope of the game. I can't imagine they'd bring these things onto an active battlefield in real life either but hey, what do I know. You're the one with the military experience. :D

As for medical evacuations it's best to rmember that it's a tactical wargame so it abstracts medical evacuations as much as possible. Instead of wasting valuable CPU cycles plotting and calculating all the stuff that would be required to do this realistically, I think it's better just to leave that up to your imagination. I think the way it's been implemented in the game is one of the finest pieces of chrome in the game.

Agree very strongly with you about the effects of RPG hits in buildings being underplayed. It would be nice to see this increased in the game.

On your other two points, I really don't have an opinion but that's not to say they're not important.

Anyway, enjoy the game. It's about to get a huge reworking next month with the 1.1 patch. I believe there will be a fix for Apaches in there somewhere.

Happy hunting

Upped RPG damage might lead to some unexciting combat though. Personally, I tend to enjoy prolonged firefights with multiple RPG shots flying in both directions - it's just more exciting than "Boom! You're all dead".

Same issue with adding a realistic Apache - in order to give Syrian side any sort of chance we'll need to give them AA assets to shoot those Apaches down, and that will present quite a bit of coding (I suspect that's why ZU and ZSU units are not in the game, since Syrians have more of them than BMPs or T72s). What fun will it be to observe an imaginary helicopter shoot off 8 Hellfires 3 km away from the map destroying all Syrian tanks... no thanks, i want those tanks for myself!

jkobmadrid,

Welcome aboard! Some of us very much want to see a whole CMx2 game covering the Arab-Israeli Wars. Recently, I proposed one whose modules would each cover each one, going back to 1948. I argued that it would be a fantastic course in AFV development, seeing as how some FT-17s were still in use then, not to mention a WW I vintage German howitzer! Also, we watched the operations in Lebanon last year with fascination, aided by one of our members who's an IDF reservist. Recommend you read my Importance of being UNCON thread for a deep look at last year's ops in Lebanon.

After rereading Kahalani's THE HEIGHTS OF COURAGE, would say that holding the Golan in '73 was more of a "near run thing" than Waterloo was for the British and Prussians. Doesn't get any closer!

Regards,

John Kettler