When is strategically important, inescapable?

CSS, Rommel had 4 Wehrmacht divisions, 15 & 21 Panzer, 90 light and 164 "Afrika" plus a number of attachments and with the 6 Italian divisions, not all as bad as history makes out, became a viable "Panzer Armee Afrika".

With a little more help from naval and air assets neutralizing Malta for a longer sustained period, the Axis could have come very close to capturing the Suez, if not actually completing the accomplishment.

I really like JJR's suggestion of a set of variable victory conditions, either chosen or appointed at the beginning of the scenario always making for an unknown strategic element.

Attaining different conglomerants of victory objectives could lead to "bonus" points. Say as Axis, you chose the "Scandanavian Expedition" where the capture or joining of Norway, Sweden, and Finland led to a possible 2 point victory allocation with an added bonus point from the capture of Leningrad as a further incentive.

Now you could prosecute all kinds of different geographic/political strategies and set up diversions unbeknownst to your opponent what the actual intent was.

We could really get creative here!

Several good suggestions mentioned:

variable victory conditions

Countries suing for peace at certain levels (UK under 75 BRPS in ATR terms)

Gambit options

Red Vs Blue game /scenario

I loved Blitzkrieg and still have a copy or two around here someplace :) along with about 100 or so other games from the "good ole days" I have been hoping somebody would do a scenario on it using the editor.

I personally want to see a better naval game and some sort of other penalty (like BRP's ATR) for declaring war on everybody under the sun. Sure you might have to move the assets in place but a lot more goes into an invasion other than driving your tank across the border.