Graphics and Mouse disaster

I'm running a Radeon 9700 and have downloaded the latest drivers, however on loading the game im getting a checkerboard and then when the game loads graphic quality is poor and my mouse is so slow as to make the game unplayable. This is the case on every different setting I have tried in options is there any fix?

Thanks

Thanks. I rolled back the drivers and it did help modestly, the graphics run, but they are still poor so I guess they are just poor in the game, the mouse is still sticky but less so than before. First time that I have ever had to "go backwards" to get a new game to run. The only issue is that now to play any other new title I have to reinstall the latest drivers. Going back and forth is already a pain, so I think Shock Force will have to go "sit on the shelf". One can only hope that more patches will address this mess.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a x850 Radeon and discovered that when you have the Catalyst drivers 8.7 or newer installed, you should enable the ATI Left Click Compatability setting inside of the CMSF Options panel.

Before the 8.7 drivers came out, you didnt' need to activate that option with x850's, but ever since, if you don't, you may notice a lot of mouse/cursor lag.

I am not sure what other "older" Radeons the newer Catalyst drivers will affect in this way, but I wouldn't be surprised if its others.

Madmatt

• 4 weeks later...

I, unfortunately, have sort of the same problem.

I have a

ATI 800GT

XP (SP3)

2 Gigs Ram

AMD 3500+

and have experienced several problems making the game virtually unplayable.

1. Graphics redraws every few seconds and the trees disappear and then slowly come back.

2. My cursor feels like it is on ice. I move my mouse but when I stop it, the cursor continues on for a fraction of a second. Like it is gliding on ice. This makes mouse control very difficult and choosing units almost impossible.

3. I cannot click on opposing forces. When I try to move my mouse over an American unit (I was red), the mouse becomes stuck a few pixels away from the blue unit and it can take up to 30 seconds for the mouse to respond. It can take up to a few minutes for the mouse to actually get on target as I move it a few pixels, wait for the cursor to catch up, rinse and repeat.

If I did not position right, then I have to continually repeat. It can cause the game to freeze momentarily as the engine waits for my cursor to come back.

I have tried with both the options for mouse on and of but both seem to cause problems. I am running ATI driver 8.3 currently but updating does not seem to help according to these forusm.

This makes the game very frustrating and creates disappointment with the entire experience.

I have both CMSF and the marine module installed so I am up to 1.10 which I was hoping would fix my probem.

I decided to update all drivers over lunch and see how everything works.

-I installed the latest ATI graphic drivers v8.9.

-I made sure that every single CMSF option was set to fastest

-I set the ATI mouse option to ON

The problems

1. Problem - Graphics still redraw and the trees disappear and then slowly come back. Graphics are sluggush. When I scan the battlefield things appear to slow down.

2. Problem - My cursor is still not responsive. It feels like it is on ice. The cursor continues on for a fraction of a second after I stop my mouse. Mouse control is still very difficult and choosing units difficult.

3. Good - I can now click on the opposing forces. My cursor does not freeze anymore when I go to target a unit.

- One problem down, 2 more to figure out.

My graphics card (ATI X800GT) only has 256 megs of memory but it has been updated to the latest drivers. I do not see much difference in the settings from when I tried the highest setting going down to the fastest.

I am thinking of moving to a ATI 4670 graphics card. Could this help with #1? I have no idea how to fix #2 but I also run a wireless mouse. Has this ever been an issue?

hi i had same problem running a

32bit AMD 3000

ati X850

2GB RAM

thought old computer causing problems being 32bit system

but graphics card never working properly due to catcontrolcenter needing net.framework 2 or higher to function correctly. i installed this and can now play battles i could not before. hope this helps

Canada Guy,

Hopefully pkjsmith's suggestion may help you out. That is an older card, but you shouldn't be having problems like that. But heck... drivers are what drivers are... nothing but a crapshoot :(

The cursor problem with ATI cards is a result of OpenGL bugs in the drivers themselves. Specifically it passed bad info on cursor location when the mouse was clicked. The feature in CM:SF to get around that is a hack that bypasses those buggy calls. Unfortunately, it still has issues.

But as far as I know the latest ATI drivers have actually fixed the problem and therefore theoretically the ATI work around in CM:SF is no longer needed. The other issues you mention don't sound connected to the ATI bug, but I haven't run into any input driver conflicts from people. That's what it sounds like, so make sure you have current mouse drivers.

Steve

I now updated my .net file to 3.5 and it helped to solve 1.5 problems.

The problems

1. sort of a Problem - Graphics still redraw and the trees disappear and then slowly come back. Roads are graphically downgraded unless I a very close to them. This may be that I have the fastest setting for graphics though. I am not sure if this also is causing my trees to redraw and disappear frequently. Though now when I scan the battlefield things do not slow down as much. Much like the experience with CMx1 which is a good comparison.

2. Solved- My cursor is now more responsive. It does not act like it is on ice and I have more control over it.

3. Solved - I can now click on the opposing forces. My cursor does not freeze anymore when I go to target a unit.

- 2.5 problems down, Half of one to figure out.