Unit Portrait Problem (Republican Guards)

Hello everyone:

I am in the midst of replacing the stock unit portraits in the UI with some of my own images.

I am able to do so successfully with the single exception of the Syrian Republican Guards portrait. I have named my 51x57 .bmp "portrait syr republican guards" and placed the new file in the "z" folder. For some reason, the stock file is not "replaced" in the UI.

To confirm the problem, I also tried the process above with a different file - no luck.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone found a workaround? Feel free to try this on your own and see what happens....

Thanks for any help.

Is anyone else able to confirm this?

I even pasted the filename from the original .bmp into the new file in order to ensure there was not a typo - no effect.

Granted, this may be irrelevant to some, but it seems to be a shame one cannot create a complete set of user-modified portraits. What's more, this would be a nice little glitch to correct in 1.1.

Thanks to anyone who can take a moment - especially any Beta Testers.

Oh, hell.

Indeed I shall, Steiner - thank you!

My "exploded" folder of the "version 100" files lists the Republican Guard portrait with the name "portrait syr republican guards." Perhaps somewhere along the way to "version 108" it was renamed?

In any event, I am putting together a complete, new set of unit portraits for the release of the USMC module. Here is a sample:

portraitusaheavyinfantrls0.png

US Mechanized (Heavy) Infantry

portraitsyrinfantryyg1.png

Syrian Infantry (Reserves)

portraitsyrfighterig1.png

UNCON "Fighter"

If there is any interest, I would be glad to share.

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in your mod, so my advice to you would be to put it on CMMODS.

P.S. - If you ever figure out a way to have different portraits for the same basic formation, e.g. two or three different UNCON Fighter portraits randomly assigned to all UNCON Fighter units, I would be very interested indeed!

...put it on CMMODS.

I will certainly do my best to make this small, upcoming mod available to the community after the release of the USMC module. I see it as a way of giving back, especially to all of those who have added so much enjoyment to the game for me over the years.

...have different portraits for the same basic formation...

Will do. As a starting point, it would be great to have different portraits assigned to AFV crews, JTAC's, FO's, etc.. I was a bit surprised to discover this was not already in place. Then again, if we can get flyover sound effects for CAS, who is to say?;)

I was a bit surprised to discover this was not already in place.

I think BFC missed a trick there. A major part of the fun of a tactical level game is the way you can identify with various soldiers and follow their antics through a campaign. For example, X-COM Apocalypse allowed you to view all the soldiers in a squad and track their progress through the game. Likewise, M1 Tank Platoon II allowed you to give soldiers medals and other kinds of awards from game to game.

I personally would have loved some sort of "Company Roster" chart that you could view between battles in the campaign, to see how many enemies each man had personally killed or wounded, how many "purple heart" medals they'd received etc.

Ah, what missed opportunities! ;)

I think the medals and field promotions thing is a bit naff really. Certainly in the British Forces medals are not issued immediately - they get announced on the Operational Awards Honours Lists which generally come out twice annually.

I have no problem if the game wants to track individuals for other reasons though such as KIA, WIA and the like.