Olympics; Phelps going for the Medal Record

Mord

Mate, you really are in dreamland. It's as regular as clockwork. England loses and the press bangs on about what whineing bad sports we are. England wins and the press bangs on about what whineing bad sports we are. You win a match and you all pile into an open-topped bus and close Trafalgar Square. That, my friend, is an inferiority complex.

I'm still waiting to actually show me some of this so-called bitterness in the Australian press. As opposed to the British press and columnists beating it up in some sort of circle jerk.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, you really are in dreamland. It's as regular as clockwork. England loses and the press bangs on about what whineing bad sports we are. England wins and the press bangs on about what whineing bad sports we are. You win a match and you all pile into an open-topped bus and close Trafalgar Square. That, my friend, is an inferiority complex.

I'm still waiting to actually show me some of this so-called bitterness in the Australian press. As opposed to the British press and columnists beating it up in some sort of circle jerk.

thats because you ARE bad sports...

check it out heres a quote...

You win a match and you all pile into an open-topped bus and close Trafalgar Square. That, my friend, is an inferiority complex.

you do it so naturally you don't notice!

Boris

London

thats because you ARE bad sports...

check it out heres a quote...

you do it so naturally you don't notice!

Boris

London

Yawn. All I see is the perennial paradox of British people whining about other people allegedly whining. How on Earth is my comment about bad sportsmanship? It's about over-celebrating to get over an inferiority complex. Yawn.

So, we see that all these accusations are a complete beat up. It seems that the only way the British can deal with sporting success is to moan about other people being jealous of them. How sad.

On another note, now the Kiwis are beating us too! In gentle mockery of our American cousins who list themselves as being top of the board thanks to the TOTAL medal count, one of our morning TV shows started running an "Australian corrected" medal tally, based on dividing population by medals. But now the Kiwis have overtaken us there!

But in mockery of the Aussie breakfast TV show, one of our breakfast radio announcers did a tally of gold medals using GDP AND popualtion as a factor. The idea being to see which country won the best proportion of medals according to their resources. Ukraine was top of the ladder a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure if Jamaica might not have gone past them now.

oooh, ..., population/gdp/overfingies adjusted medal tables

http://c4news.com/livepages/olympics2008/c4/olympicsResults.html

If its being argue that Phelps' tally is/isnt falsely inflated by the breakdown of the the events within swimming then surely the fact that he didnt compete in all the strokes matters.

Personally I think theres too many variants in the velodrome.

I've really enjoyed the swimming marathons with their epic finishes & tales of courage, amputation & cancer plus the in-built argy-bargy of the event.

I've also enjoyed the beach volleyball despite the adjacent game of musical chairs, ..., never realised it was an Olympic sport.

I hear that London is talking of the 4 X 3 fingered dagger relay, the 24 hour surveillance on a closed circuit & instead of a 20km walk a 4 hour standing still coz of traffic

oooh, ..., population/gdp/overfingies adjusted medal tables

http://c4news.com/livepages/olympics2008/c4/olympicsResults.html

If its being argue that Phelps' tally is/isnt falsely inflated by the breakdown of the the events within swimming then surely the fact that he didnt compete in all the strokes matters.

Personally I think theres too many variants in the velodrome.

I've really enjoyed the swimming marathons with their epic finishes & tales of courage, amputation & cancer plus the in-built argy-bargy of the event.

I've also enjoyed the beach volleyball despite the adjacent game of musical chairs, ..., never realised it was an Olympic sport.

I hear that London is talking of the 4 X 3 fingered dagger relay, the 24 hour surveillance on a closed circuit & instead of a 20km walk a 4 hour standing still coz of traffic

the marathon swim was a proper race...

the phelps equation for different strokes in on another page. it does no equate to zero gold medals

there is no track cycling event "riding with your eyes closed" or "riding backwards 4000m pursuit" or "riding no handed sprint" thou there appears to be too many sprint races for the men or too few for the women... track cycling was reduced this time round to make space for BMX which is all well and good

the medley relay in the pool is absolutely bollocks.

sports that are crap completely or have major problems

softball or baseball not both (apparently softball is going)

taekwondo..rubbish get rid of it.. complete waste of time should never have been a olympic sport

the walk events... absurd..

tennis

horse dressage events?

a lot of sailing classes.. baffling sport... .. needs explaining more I need to be convinced.

Boris

london

softball or baseball not both (apparently softball is going)
I'm sure these are both the same sport.

Other sports which need getting rid of are any which are decided by judges.IE most gymnastic events.If you can't decide a sport by who finished First,got the highest,longest,furthest or most points ETC then they should go.

Synchronised swimming what that all about?

What happened in the 4X100 relay.Can't they even pass a baton to each other.For gods sake.That was embarrassing.

Other sports which need getting rid of are any which are decided by judges.IE most gymnastic events.If you can't decide a sport by who finished First,got the highest,longest,furthest or most points ETC then they should go.

Synchronised swimming what that all about?

What happened in the 4X100 relay.Can't they even pass a baton to each other.For gods sake.That was embarrassing.

the subjective sports exist nowhere else (in the MSM) so I give them a pass because people like watching them... including the appalling ice dancing at the winter olympics

Boris

London

Eh? You're contradicting yourself there dude. How do you think people get points in points events? Oh, right, the judges give them to the athletes. What are the judges doing in ymnastics? Oh, right, giving points to the athletes so the one with the most can be declared winner*. Isn't that what you wanted?

Jon

* glossing over that whole count back farce - feck it, if two athletes got the same result, give 'em both a medal.

My solution is to combine some of the events:

All archery, javelin and fencing together in one huge Battle. Last man standing wins the gold. Could also be combined with rowing and sailing for a trireme themed event more in keeping with Ancient Greek origins.

Again, all judo, tae-kwon-do, boxing, wrestling combined into one big hand-to-hand.

All shooting events likewise.

A horse, of Norwegian origin among three others, was tested positive for doping yesterday. Sigh.

One could only hope that horses would learn to play it "fair", to keep their sport clean. A substance abusing, cheating Norwegian horse is never a pretty sight.

yes they tested positive for "hay" class drugs

Boris

London

edit: disclaimer original joke not mine

If the flexibility of youth is an advantage then why isnt there lots of 16 year old male gymnasts?

Why, given their population do India do so nadly in the medals tables?

Eh? You're contradicting yourself there dude. How do you think people get points in points events? Oh, right, the judges give them to the athletes. What are the judges doing in ymnastics? Oh, right, giving points to the athletes so the one with the most can be declared winner*. Isn't that what you wanted?

Jon

* glossing over that whole count back farce - feck it, if two athletes got the same result, give 'em both a medal.

I dunno, ..., f'instance IIUC in boxing although the judgement is subjective there is an underlying objective fact. Whereas gymnastic 'execution' or 'artistic interpretation' seem to me to be entirely subjective.

Its one thing to argue that "We wuz robbed" coz the ball did/didnt cross the line but such debate is meaningless in gymnastics, ice dancing etc

As for sailing, ..., its definately a crap spectator sport, ..., even the commentators seem at a loss as to whats going on

As for the 2012 post-modern pentathlon other likely events incude Rock Pasper Scissors, (which wont favour the seps coz, bizarely, as a class the know NTFA of rock), distance vomiting, synchronised crisp eating, the 109 yard 1 inch moan & whinge

yes they tested positive for "hay" class drugs

Boris

London

edit: disclaimer original joke not mine

GO & STAND IN THE CORNER!

If the flexibility of youth is an advantage then why isnt there lots of 16 year old male gymnasts?

because male gymnastics requires strength

Why, given their population do India do so nadly in the medals tables?

because they don't give a sh*t?

I dunno, ..., f'instance IIUC in boxing although the judgement is subjective there is an underlying objective fact. Whereas gymnastic 'execution' or 'artistic interpretation' seem to me to be entirely subjective.

they don't have artistic scores anymore it is based on underlying objectivity.. but its hardly understood by the average spectator. execution deductions are based on deviation from a objective perfect form.. -0.1 feet not together in pike position.. etc

Its one thing to argue that "We wuz robbed" coz the ball did/didnt cross the line but such debate is meaningless in gymnastics, ice dancing etc

in ice dancing who cares?

Boris

London

Jon

Err no if you look at the Decathlon and Pentathlon they get points by coming first,farthest,highest,fastest.

Fencers get points by scoring on the target area using sensors.

Archery and shooting get points by scoring in the target area.

BMX riders get points in the qualifying semifinals to work out who goes to the final where that is decided on a 1 lap race.

I could go on but you get my drift.

I am only talking about ice skating,gymnastics and the like.

I often think of the subjectivity factor when I'm grading student essays. If I have to mark say 90 essays of 2500 words each, it gets a bit subjective. How can the essays that I marked on Monday morning after a nice breakfast be the same as the ones I marked on Thursday night at 11pm when I'm tired and just want to get through the ****ing pile and be over with it? How do mine compare with the 90 papers from the same subject marked by a colleague?

To some extent I am saved by only having to give a grade rather than a % score. So that puts papers into one of about 5 bandwidths. And it's pretty easy to judge those. A marginal pass is still a marginal pass, whether you score it at 52% or 53%. But those all add up at the end of the semester.

I think china should have all its gymnastic medals revoked.. at the very very very least the chinese gymnastic team misses out the next olympics.. systematic falsification of documents relating to age is just cheating that one step to far.. especially getting caught out...

the entire greek weight lifting squad was banned from competing because of systematic cheating.. so the precedent is there..

Boris

London

midi

first fanx for the assorted clarifications & i agree with yer views on ice dancing.

I still think that the degree to which a performance deviates from an ideal can only be a subjective judgement

because they don't give a sh*t?

but why doesnt india care?

Its not as if sport in general is an anathema in India, f'instance the exceedingly well funded new 20/20 league.

Indian society also doesnt seem to be lacking in patriotic fervour, nor a TV audience.

Yet they sent only 57 atheletes whilst Jamacia & Kenya sent 56 each f'instance.

Meanwhile heres another alt medal table that includes by team size & gender

http://www.billmitchell.org/sport/medal_tally_2008.html

There must be an historical one somewhere

India should and would rise in ranks, like China did, when they start some kind of program to get some results from the Games. Obviously, drawing talent from such a large population can't be that hard, and with some financial incentives and pharmacological knowhow, a total Medal count from forty to hundred medals per Olympic Games is a certainty.

For their credit, they haven't done it yet.

search me? they have never fielded a serious squad in the history of the games

maybe if Kabaddi was an olympic sport?

they play it at the asia games..

Boris

London

I seem to remember when Channel4 used to show Kabaddi, (& Sumo, not so 'alternative' now are they). I've even seen kids playing it in the streets of Brum

but I'll see yer Kabaddi & raise you the even more obscure

Sepak Takraw, ..., which looks hamstring injuryingly top notch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De9xT9VQHxs

p.s. the leaks on the brit bit of the closing ceremony of the first international Guess the Age of the Little Girl championship have cracked me up, queues, brollies, bike couriers, democratically manufactured pop stars, bowderised grizled hairy old men, buses, Becks, BoJo & best of all the shipping forecast. Summat for us all there surely?

All together now "Viking, Dogger, German Bight, ..."

Bolts was a highlight but its a sad and cynical world..

Jamica used to train its sprinters with US sprinters on the notorious drug rife US circuit..

what happens? drug scandals in US squad lead to US cleaning up its act with decent out of competition testing (OOC) to avoid the repertition of the now regular scandals...

hello... the Jamaicans all of a sudden decide to stop training in the US and go back to Jamaica to train... where Jamaican Athletics refuses to sign up to the Regional anti doping organization (RADO) and instead relies on the IAAF (notoriously s**t)

come the olympics

US sprinters = zero

Jamaican sprinters = 5

coincidence? you decide............

well you can take heart that the US medals were cleaner (for once)

British boxing gold = bollocks... our guy clinched and ref did nothing but fair play for getting away with it

mens pole vault was a good event..

UK track cycling was awesome.. rob hayles quietly bundled out of the team (aging guy desperate to make team tests with suspicious blood values)

thats how thorough the UK velodrome squad were to present a totally clean team... on paper Hayles was better than manning or thomas for the 4000m team pursuit and was not "positive" just suspicious and was dropped... can't say the same for

_44943861_co_getty466.jpg

who is presented by the BBC as the face of honor

in the end China let itself down on the world stage with its cheating.. which occurred a fair bit... will they learn that transparencey is something they are going to have to get used to...

you can't pull off this outrageous 1984 rejig history crap and expect to get away with it when the worlds media is on your case...

still an enjoyable games .. hell of a relief from the impending economic/political doom and gloom

Boris

London