WW II sketches of Hans Liska

If you enjoy military art, or art period, you'll most likely enjoy this. From the sketchbook of a crack German war artist! If your thing's aircraft, artillery, Panzers, Pioniere, FOs, Nebelwerfers,, RR artillery or even the Maxim Gorky Battery, are you in for a grog treat.

Covers from France through Ost Front. Der Alte Fritz is your indirect benefactor, since he linked me to something else on the same site.

http://www.allworldwars.com/World%20War%20II%20Sketches%20By%20Hans%20Liska.html

Regards,

John Kettler

John K,

Really interesting site. I have always liked Liska's artwork. Some very dramatic portrayals. The rest of the site was pretty slick too, especially the photos of eastern front action in 1942. Many of the photos were new to me. That was an especially neat surprise. Thanks for posting the link, or rather thanks to both you and Der Alte Fritz.

Heinrich505

Heinrich505,

You're quite welcome! Be sure to read the history of the Maxim Gorky Battery since it's original, first rate, full of grog pics and forms the basis of one of Liska's sketches. If sniping's your thing, the Hesketh-Pritchard? book will positively warp your head. It's a true classic and very hard to come by.

Regards,

John Kettler

Sivodsi,

Somewhere, I wish I could remember where, I read an account of one American unit's "welcome" to Africa by the Afrika Korps panzergrenadiers. Seems they came roaring out of the setting sun before the American infantry could react, blasted the men with MG fire and pelted them with grenades before racing off into the sunset, leaving stunned, less confident Americans in their wake. The entire attack was conducted mounted, just like Liska shows. Glad you liked it! As for your comment, that's because CMBB doesn't do a WRG style morale check for infantry suddenly beset by armor. Infantry has to be specially trained against tank panic and similar.

Regards,

John Kettler

Sivodsi,

Nice choice. I, too, like that dramatic sketch.

I have actually pulled that maneuver off against the AI, but all the Russians in the trench were suppressed or pinned, and from the halftrack, I unloaded a flamethrower team. There was a lot of fast surrendering before the flames could be employed.

Heinrich505

• 3 weeks later...

I remember seeing some of these sketches, or at least similar looking ones, in the stuff my grandfather left me. Obviously they were just prints handed out to soldiers. Are they still worth anything in the U.S.? Contrary to the originals, which of course 'd bring a small fortune.

Btw, I happen to own a copy of " Die Wehrmacht " printed in 1941. Anyone interested? It's propaganda material, depicting every german battle as a great victory. Wonder what's that worth in the U.S.?