Help for New Computer Set-Up!

Hi, I'm moving overseas (to Moscow!) next week and will need a completely new computer/monitor/TV setup.

CMBB is currently the only game I really play, although I'm sure I'll be playing others as time goes on.

Two main questions:

1) I've been following (er, trying to follow) the various threads on CMBB compatibility with Vista, and frankly am hopelessly confused. I'm tempted just to stay with XP, but am wondering what I'll be giving up for other games if I do so? Does DX10 run on XP with all of its features? Should I really care? I'm not really into FPS or extreme eye-candy, but I hate to have a gimped game set up if I decide to check out FallOut, etc.

2) I've been playing CMBB on a 22 inch monitor for a couple of years, and it's great. But now that I'm getting a new setup, I'm wondering if I should get a 30" or 36" TV that I could also use while playing CMBB--that could be really cool. Anybody have any practical experience with playing CMBB on such a big screen? I saw another thread in this forum about a guy having resolution problems...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi

In answer to question 1.

Buy the best computer you can and fit it with an NVIDIA graphics card of your choice. Then install XP operating sytem. CMBB will run just fine and you will be able to play really big battles.

VISTA is a broken OS and will be replaced by Microsoft next year.

DX10 does add some fine detail compared to DX9 but only in really new games. But like all things in computing being really new brings a whole host of problems so it is not really worth the hassle.

DAF,

Thanks for the response. Is it fair to say that all the newest games (and for the next year or so) will work pretty well on XP with a good video card, but that XP might not be able to display every latest video effect in the newest games?

Also, I was thinking it's worth getting dual-core; will that cause probs with CMBB? I assume dual-core wouldn't pose problems for newer games?

CMx1 has a hard limit of 1600 horizontal and 1200 vertical, unfortunately.

I think this is what I'm using now; does that mean that I can't really play CMBB on a screen bigger than about 22 inch? (no big deal, but would have been cool)