Spotting while unbuttoned

Does anyone know if some vehicles spot better while buttoned up compared to unbuttoned? It seems as if the modern tanks (M1, T-72 even the Brad etc…) spot enemies better while buttoned up. Where as the less high tech early Syrian tanks spot better unbuttoned. I’ve also noticed it seems the MGS’s spot better while unbuttoned.

I haven’t run any controlled environment test but have just observed this over the course of me playing this game.

So has anyone else noticed this or am I just getting the wrong impression?

• 1 year later...

The more high-tech combat vehicles definitely spot better at range when buttoned.

I'm not sure about what happens in close contact, though. Logically, once range gets under 100m or so, under daylight conditions the crew might actually spot more quickly using the Mk. 1 eyeball than with the fancy cameras and gizmos - eyeballs give you a wider field of view. I can't say for sure because I generally try to keep my AFVs as far away from the enemy as possible, and when they are close, I usually keep them buttoned so that no one gets tagged by a bullet while they're sticking their head out of a hatch.

I'm with YankeeDog on this one.

Theoretically, spotting nearby targets might be easier when unbuttoned, but only at such short ranges that doing so would be prohibitively dangerous. As such, I don't do it, except perhaps when hunting armour in the near blind Red armour. This seems to work better then doing so buttoned.

However, the differences in spotting is hard to quantify and as such I wouldn't want to vouch for any of it.

Red tanks seem to spot a Hell of a lot better unbuttoned. This is most apparent when something moves outside what seem to be about a 90 degree cone off the front of the vehicle. A buttoned T-72 will carry on and pay no attention, where an unbottoned one will slew and show some 125mm HE love.

I suspect YankeeDog is right about the closer ranges, unbuttoned overcomes gee-whiz optics/sensors when you get really close. But I couldn't say I'm sure of it.