Question about CMSF sounds - bug or feature?

I'm currently trying to make some (gun) sound mods and have noticed something, especially with automatic weapons: the single shots are changing treble/bass and such with each single shot, what causes a really strange effect.

I don't think that this is a bug since this happens IIRC since version 1.01, so I assume this is supposed to be some kind of feature, so that there is a little more acoustical variance on the battlefield.

If so, then I don't think that it works well. The effect is, as said, just strange. Beside that, I think it's also rather unrealistic. Maybe I'm not an expert for guns, but even I have enough experience to know that each weapon has it's special sound. It may be a little bit different sometimes depending on the ambiance/echo, but surely not to that degree, for each single shot in a salvo and completly random.

Would it be possible to reduce this effect or turn it off completly? Maybe with a simple setting in an INI file?

I am not sure if it's the same problem, and as strange as it sounds, I've noticed this when I've had the graphics on Best Best and there's a bunch of guys firing. There's a stuttering of the gunfire and weird little sound distortions.

Try turning your graphic settings down and see if it still does it. If not then it's a different problem than what I have experienced in the past. It's worth a try though just to eliminate the possibility.

Mord.

Scipio, I hadn't noticed this at all, but after reading your post I went and listened closely and it seems you're right, there is a seemingly random variation applied to each report. However, I rather like this effect, and I think it does contribute a lot to keeping the battle from sounding stale and repetitive. In fact I've always felt that the sound modelling in this game is outstanding. Of course, an .ini setting wouldn't hurt for those like you who find it strange.

Mh, I have turned all graphic settings to low details, shadows off, FSAA off, but without result. Updating the driver didn't change anything, too. BTW, I don't believe that a slow system has something to do with it. Mine is not state-of-art, but an Intel E8400 with 2x3GHz + Geforce 8800GT shouldn't cause a performance problem. So assume this effect is caused by some kind of CMSF build-in soundfilter.

Slug88, it seems to me that the effect is different depending on the weapon that is fired, or maybe on the soundfile that is used than. The effect is very strong (and strange) if you listen to the Bradley 25mm gun, for example, and seem to get worse if the sound has a long fade out.