Terrific, inexpensive DVD set covering Noth Africa and Italy

For about $10 U.S., I recently snagged a 2 DVD set called Battle Ground: North Africa and Italy. Tonight, my friend and I finally got to watch the set, starting with the John Huston classic (and then controversial) during the war doc "The Battle of San Pietro," after which we saw a 3 parter on the 10th Mountain Division "Call to Glory" and an Anzio doc. Terrific stuff, with some amazing footage from both sides. As far as I'm concerned, this is a must see for those of you with no background in this theater and will be of real help to the scenario designers. Whether your thing's armor, CAS, artillery, combat engineers, fortifications or old-fashioned infantry attack, you'll find something to command your attention, and the interviews with participants from both sides and even the civilians are astounding. In fact, you'll be amazed at what people did and how they suffered in the process. If the North Africa DVD's as good, this may turn into one of my best grog purchases per dollar spent ever.

Regards,

John Kettler

Sequoia,

Am pretty sure it was at Fry's in the ambush aisle on the way to checkout. You can blow a whole paycheck before clearing that gauntlet, what with the movies, gadgets and every sort of munchie and candy imaginable. I checked the Frys.com site, but it''s not listed in documentaries, so is likely to be a promotional thing. Never mind, it's Time-Life.

http://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=1001&langId=-1&productId=59507

Regards,

John Kettler

Clavicula_Nox,

It's possible something was said, but I missed it. Both my friend and I were pretty trashed (circa 2 a.m. here) by the time we saw the Anzio movie. ISTR the FSSF used to amuse itself by killing Germans and leaving calling cards on their foreheads. HGD troops had some special name for these guys, too.

Whether FSSF is in or not, as far as I'm concerned, the Battle of San Pietro alone justifies buying the set.

Regards,

John Kettler

Clavicula_Nox,

It's possible something was said, but I missed it. Both my friend and I were pretty trashed (circa 2 a.m. here) by the time we saw the Anzio movie. ISTR the FSSF used to amuse itself by killing Germans and leaving calling cards on their foreheads. HGD troops had some special name for these guys, too.

Whether FSSF is in or not, as far as I'm concerned, the Battle of San Pietro alone justifies buying the set.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, they left cards saying things like "The worst is yet to come." The nickname they supposedly earned was "black devils," but the anecdote detailing how they earned it is extremely similar to the 504th earning "devils in baggy pants". I'll probably end up getting.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the NA/Italy and German Frontier discs. I've enjoyed them a lot. For $10 a piece it is hard to go wrong.

I must say, that I did not like the San Pietro piece at all. I was under the impression that this was going to be an honest, non-sugar coated view of the actual battle. I read that some of the footage was re-shot after the battle with some US soldiers as stand-ins. That would be OK if they were going for a recreation of the actual battle. With Frank Capra and John Houston involved I thought it would be a real powerful piece. But in the end it is a piece of Hollywood crap. Extremely disappointing. The description says "considered one of the strongest indictments of war ever made." Balooney. More Hollywood glorification and "ra-ra" for the winning side. Oh, and the people of San Pietro had it hard too. The 1/3 of the population that survived... here are some of the children licking lollipops (not really, but just about).

It seems to be some hodge-podge of various documentary series. There is one group, some of the segments narrated by Lorne Green, that might have been broadcast on television. In some instances, the narrator says "on tonight's episode." These appear to have been produced in the mid to late 50s. Some are very good... with interviews from both sides, American and German, at all ranks from General down to privates.

Some of the footage sources is not authentic which is something that has always bothered me about documentaries. The same footage of GI's ducking for cover in San Pietro appears in the very next segments about the 10th Mountain Division. The footage can't be from the same place, can it? But some is authentic, such as when they are walking with vets from the 10th Mountain over the hills and mountains they fought over. Good to see the real places... looking up with the vet as he points out the location on a ridge where German machine guns were firing down at his unit.

Again, in the German Frontier disc, it is great to hear from battalion commanders who fought at the Battle of the Bulge. Increadible to hear from one of the guys who ran across the bridge at Remagen and give his step-by-step account. On the other side, one of the lower ranking German officers gives his account.

Well worth $10.

BannonDC,

Yes, the footage from one got used a lot, but did you notice the German WP as the GIs advanced through the olive trees? Was glad I finally got to see the Battle of San Pietro. Not much battle, though some info on the tank slaughter in Icks, FAMOUS TANK BATTLES, but I thought the three-parter on the 10th Mountain division was far more interesting. Some good stuff on the other disc, but weak on 1SSF, Rangers, etc. The Rangers lost at Cisterna, but my understanding is the winners suffered severely! Haven't seen the German Frontier set.

Regards,

John Kettler