Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Objectives and the end game screen

I have already written in the past that I'm not to happy with the result screen. Point is, there are a lot of very different objectives possible that can be simulated with the available settings and a little bit fantasy by the scenario designer. But what do I as the player get on the result screen? Just a couple of abstracted numbers that doesn't mean much to me if I have no idea of scenario design. Especially I have no idea why or why not the OTHER side has achieved/not achieved their goals.

I have made some thoughts about it. Why not enable the scenario designer to enter custom message about the success or failure of the various objectives?

Example (I pick up something that Steve once mentioned). To give the blue side a handicap in a city combat scenario, I can set in the scenario design a couple of buildings that must be preserved as hidden objective. The only information the blue side get in the briefing is something like: 'Avoid collateral damage, we want to look good on CNN tonight'.

At the moment : if the player should have destroyed one of the buildings anyway, he get just a "Objective x: no" message. Meaningless. Boring.

The alternative I propose is something like: 'Congratulations, your are on CNN tonight while wiping out a Kindergarten'! :eek:

Okay, my example is not the very best, I guess. Please don't nail me down on that. But I hope you get the idea behind it: custom success/failure messages on the result screen for custom objectives. I believe that brings some more realism and feeling for the mission to the game!

I agree completely. I would also like to add another little thing... when--cough-- we are able to see what each individual unit has done during gameplay (like in cmx1 you could see that your sherman tank has killed 3 tigers), maybe extraordinary efforts could be rewarded with medals. I know it wouldn't really make much of a difference unless somehow it would permanently upgrade the unit during a campaign, but it would still be cool for the sake of immersion.

As far as your idea goes, Scipio, that could make the campaigns that much more interesting, rather than just a string of battles.

I agree completely. I would also like to add another little thing... when--cough-- we are able to see what each individual unit has done during gameplay (like in cmx1 you could see that your sherman tank has killed 3 tigers), maybe extraordinary efforts could be rewarded with medals. I know it wouldn't really make much of a difference unless somehow it would permanently upgrade the unit during a campaign, but it would still be cool for the sake of immersion.

Steve said the Kill List is on the to do list. LOL so hopefully we'll see it sometime before WWII. I keep hoping some of these surprises they mentioned for the Marines Module will include that.

Mord.

Another thing that's completely missing from the results screen is the number of lightly wounded (yellow status) men. This is supposed to affect your % "condition" rating, as is fatigue and ammo supply - also not mentioned. As victory points can be awarded for friendly or enemy condition, the % condition rating should be listed along with casualties.

For example:

OK: 53

L.Wounded: 24

Wounded: 12

KIA: 4

Condition: 87% Effective

Actually I just noticed something in the objectives screen; I'm making a small-action scenario and the aim is for Blue to take out all the RPG teams in the village. When assigning unit objectives I've written RPG1, RPG2 etc in the objective name. Thus, when the AAR screen comes up, mouse over the big Objective icon and the list of successfully or not completed objectives and their names i.e RPG1, RPG2 etc, is shown at the bottom of the screen with their status. I guess it's down to the designers to put this time in to actually label the objectives with something pertinent.