Since a subs underwater speed(silent mode)is about 45% of its surface speed(vii which was the workhorse of the uboat fleet had a surface speed of about 17.7 knots and submerged about 7.6 knots) would it not make sense that when a sub is moving in silent mode to have its overall movement reduced by the same?

Since the minimum turn length is 7 days and in that turn the sub can only cover 352 nautical miles, that gives an average speed of 2 knots. Given your speed figures it appears that the sub should have a greater range. I guess that the compression of the ocean areas makes it difficult to adjust the speeds.

ebitt what you say makes total sense but if a sub can move 8 hexes(i mean tiles) in hunt mode then if its in silent mode(underwater) it shouldnt be able to move more than three to four hexes on any given turn.Im guessing that wouldnt be to diffuclt to do.On land, weather effects the movent of ground and air units,why cant sub movement be effected by which mode they are in?

Both of you are making logical arguments. All things being relative you are right A234, but since the scale of the oceans vs land is skewed allowances have to be made. And as ebitt presents the time scale vs APs is off also making it a diificult thing to model correctly.

I'll present another facet, if the APs of subs are diminshed too much they will have a difficult time escaping even in silent mode. Enough destroyers on one semi circle and the other flank land, subs are easily round up and slaughtered in the corral.

I'd be interested in a show of hands of how many players have prosecuted a successful sub campaign, or been the victim of one.

Subs didn't stay down for a week straight, so your distance figures are going to be off if you try to figure them out and justify speed figures on that basis.

I'd just look at running silent as the sub commander refusing contact, a destroyer being able to deny him that choice, and not worry about it any more.

I understand that Lars but if the sub is in silent mode it can run for up to 8 tiles.So as far as this game goes it is staying down for a week.

I agree with you SeaMonkey but imho they should have their movement reduced by two in silent mode.That way they are still fairly hard to box in but atleast it reflects a little more on their limited movement underwater.

They only stayed down for a few hours most of the time. Probably you would need to reduce the speed by guessing how much time they are spending underwater and averaging the surface and underwater speed together. Also, the AVERAGE surface and underwater speeds were not 17.5 and 7.6 knots. The engines were only run at high speeds during attacks and emergencies. The endurance was greatly reduced at high speeds and the chance of breakdown increased.