Will problems with AI facing be addressed in the new module?

I have been running some tests on my new scenario and I'm consistently seeing the AI set up SOME units with their backs to the Blue board edge. Even when I place the units myself with no set up zones, the AI takes it upon itself to turn them around to face the opposite direction. Sometimes, some units face towards the centre of the board instead of a board edge. I can definitely post screenshots of this problem later if you want.

Is this going to be fixed in the next module? It's a very important fix for us scenario designers, and those people who play them.

If the Scen/Map designer sets up Blue friendly as East (default) but chooses to create set up zones on the West side of the map you will get what you've described. There's nothing "broken" so nothing BFC needs to "fix" here. Scen designers need to pay a bit more attention to detail is all.

Wait, wait wait, wait. I REALLY have NO IDEA what you're talking about here Mark. You're saying that, if I designate the Enemy board edge (Red) as west and the Friendly (Blue) as east and I create a Red set up zone somewhere in the centre or the east side of the board, then those units will face the wrong way? How is that not broken? Surely it would be better, and more logical if they faced the enemy board edge or at least had their backs to their own friendly board edge. However, if you're telling me in your capacity as BFC's spokesman that it's working as designed, then that's fine by me.

BTW, as a scenario designer I DO pay a lot of attention to the details, thank you. That's why I'm reporting THIS!

example1.jpg

Anyway, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. This one was taken after about a minute after the scenario set up, just enough time to give the AI time to orientate it's units (attention to the details, Mark.) Yes, the board is very large but this set up zone is still more than 600m from the Blue set up area. So why should they be facing their OWN board edge? You can see Blue's unit icons behind the team.

If you select the friendly direction after having chosen the units, they will not be informed of it. The friendly direction is "stamped" on the units at purchase.

Is this feature or bug? I can see some strongpoints on it... As well as some weakpoints like the fact that i (+ many others, i presume) didnt' know about this.

Was this mentioned in manual?

If you select the friendly direction after having chosen the units, they will not be informed of it. The friendly direction is "stamped" on the units at purchase.

It's good to know that but that's not what's causing the problem. The BFD/RFD settings were set before the units were purchased and while the Red OB changes from time to time, those settings have never changed.

Anyway, before someone picks me up on the factual inaccuracy in my last post, this is the picture I wanted to post. I posted a link to the wrong one because I was somewhat riled by the tone of "BFC's" response.

example2.jpg

There it is now. Taken after 1 minute. Now, while this isn't a huge problem for infantry units as they can correct their facing quite quickly, it is for vehicles as they often set up with their backsides facing the FBE and get killed quickly without getting a shot off. Because of this limitation, I have deleted almost all of the Red vehicles deployed in forward positions at the start of the mission because they were just cannon fodder.

Hopefully, some REAL spokesman for BFC can comment on this issue. If this is a design decision, then fine, it's THEIR game and I'm willing to work within the limitations that result from it. Since Mark is a Beta Tester, he is obviously privy to some insider info about how the game is designed. It would be a BIG help to the responsible scenario designing community if this kind of info was shared with us as well since the manual is not entirely clear on this point... quote...

BLUE FRIENDLY DIRECTION - sets the direction into which

Blue units would withdraw to join their lines

RED FRIENDLY DIRECTION - sets the direction into which

Red units would withdraw to join their lines

That certainly doesn't say that the AI will deploy it's forces within it's set up zones with their faces towards the enemy or their backs towards the the friendly direction. And since that's clearly not what's happening, it really says nothing.

Paper Tiger: I did not mean to offend you or any other designer. If I did so please accept my apology for poorly stating my opinion. Adam1 got my point across better. Since you say that isn't the case then something is amiss. If you would please send me the scen file I can get out a bug report...