Ice, fleets and convoy lines

I like the concept, that convoys suffer through winter seasons.

And i like the frozen ice, which permits naval movement.

But please take a look at this picture:

archanglsk.jpg

The red convoy line shouldn't run straight through the ice, right? Don't we all know, that movement through the ice parts aren't possible?

I don't know the overall idea behind these ice tiles in the norwegian sea, but if it shouldn't block convoys or sea movement, than i suggest that the red line should be drawn in a zig-zag-like, to indicate that the shipping line is kept open by ice breakers.

But in the end my opinion is, that there shouldn't be an open convoy line if the sea is frozen.

In this particular case, while the ice appears to cover the entire escape from Archangel, the convoys and Soviet naval loops are allowed to continue in order to simulate the historical passage of material during the Winter months in this particular area. Granted it was mostly to Murmansk but since this vital port is not on the map, Archangel is used as the next best substitute.

Hubert

@John DiFool the 2nd

Yes, and i know it.

But the white ice tiles suggest that no shipmovement is possible, doesn't it?

That alone is my point here.

If your destroyer get stuck in ice, it can't move.

EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD PLENTY OF ICEBREAKERS.