Firewall-Need more info on ports and services

Battman

Hi,

i recently tried to set up a game via internet.

Just forwarding 7023 in router and firewall did not do the job - i had to disable the firewall,

then the game finally loaded the scenario.

But being scanned is not what i like, so which ports or windows services are needed furthermore, except for port 7023, so i dont have to open the fw wide assed?

What firewall? If it is a local, software firewall, like Zone Alarm, you need to allow incoming connections from your router in addition to opening the port. If you are behind a router, than you should not worry about port scanning anyhow--the NAT the router runs prevents this, aside from the open port 7023. Which they cannot really do much to because the only thing that should be listening on that port is CM, which has no known security vulnerabilities.

WWB

Ok, you cannot host with the XP firewall enabled. It is too low-grade and not configurable enough to let one do such a thing.

If you are behind a router, there is nothing to worry about. If anything, you need something that can stop outgoing traffic--like Zone Alarm.

WWB

>If it is a local, software firewall, like Zone >Alarm, you need to allow incoming connections >from your router in addition to opening the port.

Hi,

i already did that:

>Just forwarding 7023 in router and firewall did >not do the job - i had to disable the firewall,

>then the game finally loaded the scenario.

Its Sygate firewall running here, and preventing unwanted connections in and out is its job.

As far as i know, intelligent trojans or tools can exploit a combination of router, firewall and Winblows still. Also the firewall reported port scans sometimes. So switching the firewall off

for combat mission is not a proper solution.

I guess this is just another case where developers of a game know the main port, but not the other ports or services their game uses/requires.

Ted, though it depends what you run on your computer, the xp firewall is not recommendable.

Putting it short, its simple but therefore crap.

My solution for now is the open several things up for the specific ip of the other player. Thats better than switching fw off completely.

But also not a proper solution if he knows that.

He could still set up some stupid tool, for example as "revenge" for having lost a recent game, or just out of boredom.

K, seems i have to find out whats needed for myself. Maybe ill tell here if i find out.

What specific Sygate firewall product are you running and what version ? Has this product been updated lately ? Is this running on your computer or somewhere else on a network ?

If you're using the Sygate Personal Firewall/Pro is CM listed in your 'Applications Listing' ? Have you set it's 'Access Status' to Allow (rather than Ask) ? Are you using 'Advanced Rules' for CM ?

As far as I'm aware the CM series just uses 'TCP Port 7023'. You may want to try TCP Port 7024 also, but it is most likely unnecessary. I don't believe CM uses UDP, but that is another protocol you may want to open up at 7023. I assume that this is setup for incoming and outgoing packets on this port ?

It's possible that the 'stateful inspection' or whatever else Sygate may be doing to incoming packets is causing problems with CM's data.

[ December 14, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]