For anyone looking for a GeForce 4

Redwolf

Agreed; I have a Ti4200 with 64M and it works just fine with all versions of CM at 1280x1024 with 4xS AA. The 4xS AA is great for removing the "sparkly" textures when scrolling around a map. I found the anisotropic setting worked but produced artifacts around the edges of sharp lines, such as the targetting lines.

I do still use a much older driver (3.0.8.2) as with newer versions I experienced "blurry" (double) in-game text such as the landscape labels etc.

Perhaps the current drivers have resolved all these issues; I don't know and would rather not experiment as what I have now works just great and I don't play any other games anyway. I mean, who does - wouldn't that come out of CM time? :)

Krazy Canuck: Here is where I bought my Ti4200-8x card. Price is more expensive, but it is in Canadian dollars and the card is brand new. Card arrived in about 8 days and runs perfectly, even overclocked!

No problems with these guys at all.

When I ordered one last month, they had one card left after my order so I would phone them first to see if they have any left. Or better yet, use the LiveHelp function on the right side of the page.

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/21/617/1539

[ November 30, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

Originally posted by Ralph Beaman:

Whats wrong with the FX5200? I just bought one!

Nothing broken or anything, it is just a very slow card. A GF4 at the price quoted would have much better price/performance.

The advantage of the 5200 compared to a GeForce 4 would be that it has hardware support for Direct3D 9 features. But since it is too slow to run any DirectX 9 games that is of no use either.

The 5200 is probably just fine for Combat Mission, and antialiasing should be supported at good speed, too.

With both NVidia and ATI you always need to keep in mind that the slower cards of a new series (5x00 versus 4x00) are actually much slower than the high-end cards of the old series. The low-end cards of each series are usually so underpowered that they cannot effective drive the new games which they are meant for.

Originally posted by Wally's World:

Krazy Canuck: Here is where I bought my Ti4200-8x card. Price is more expensive, but it is in Canadian dollars and the card is brand new. Card arrived in about 8 days and runs perfectly, even overclocked!

No problems with these guys at all.

When I ordered one last month, they had one card left after my order so I would phone them first to see if they have any left. Or better yet, use the LiveHelp function on the right side of the page.

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/21/617/1539

WW,

Thanks, I've been watching their site. For just over a 100 bucks more I can get the 5900XT which, IMO, is the best bang for my buck. It may be time for a complete upgrade soon anyways.

For $54.00 US + shippimg the Chaintec was a helluva buy though, as j2d said, "to good to be true" I guess. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

KC

Krazy Canuck:

Regarding your thinking of the 5900XT, here's a quote from Tom's Hardware Guide website regarding that card. I have no opinion of this card but maybe Redwolf does.

GeForce FX5900 SE/XT, GeForce PCX 5900

Pros- DX9 support, excellent DX8 performance, good AA/AF peformance

Cons- poor DX9 performance, and you can get a Radeon 9800 Pro for little more, which is a better card in every area. Radeon X700 Pro (and of course faster GeForce 6600GT, Radeon X700XY) is a much better choice in PCI express segment.

Tom's Hardware Video Card Guide Post

Originally posted by Wally's World:

Krazy Canuck:

Regarding your thinking of the 5900XT, here's a quote from Tom's Hardware Guide website regarding that card. I have no opinion of this card but maybe Redwolf does.

GeForce FX5900 SE/XT, GeForce PCX 5900

Pros- DX9 support, excellent DX8 performance, good AA/AF peformance

Cons- poor DX9 performance, and you can get a Radeon 9800 Pro for little more, which is a better card in every area. Radeon X700 Pro (and of course faster GeForce 6600GT, Radeon X700XY) is a much better choice in PCI express segment.

Tom's Hardware Video Card Guide Post

WW;

I'm a Nvidia fan, this from Sharky Extreme

Our previous value guide brought with it a much-needed video card upgrade, and this month we don't see any reason to change. The NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT 128-MB has finally slid down into range of our value guide, and we're pleased because this card is not far removed from the upper mid-range. It's basically a lower-clocked GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, and includes the same core design and features, along with a 256-bit memory interface. It's also where the best price-performance ratio exists in the current market, especially as the Radeon 9800 Pro 128-MB continues to be priced just out of our reach. ..
KC

If the FX 5200 is "underpowered", what about the FX 5500? It is priece at $80. The FX 5200 is priced at $50.

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A9602746

I am the one with the Vaio which has the on-board video, which does not work. So I am looking to see what type of card I can put in the AGP slot. The Viao has a 2.2 Ghz CPU.

I have a 5900XT, which is not that good for Half-Life 2 but about for everything else.

If could bring myself to buy a 6x00 less than a 6800 GT 256 MB.

srynas, I didnt test a 500 myself yet, but hav ea look here http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2195&p=3

That chart gives you the actual performance-relevant numbers, as opposed to the "5200" and "5500" marketing numbers.

A 5500 is only marginally better. It probably has even worse price/performance than the 5200.

What kind of games do you play? Do you tend to play high quality on lower framerates or higher framerates at low resolution/quality?

And check your Sony that it has a full-hight AGP slot. Sony and Dell sometimes have half-height slots, then you can only use a very narrow set of cards.