3.8 ATI drivers help?

Anyone try the new 3.8 ATI drivers?

Do they help the CM games at all?

I actually own an Nvidia 5900 but have toyed with

the idea of making the switch to ATI but one of the main reasons I haven't is because of the CM games. I know, I'm an addict. smile.gif

Jordan "AstroCat"

I haven't tried them myself yet. Looking through the "fixes" listing I don't see anything that screams 'fixed' for CM issues, though it is still a possibility. I would hazard a guess that the FSAA issues still exist for CM with the Catalyst 3.8 driver. The other issues may have gotten fixed.

Fog will never be present in CMBO/CMBB/CMAK with the Radeon family under DirectX. ATI is not about to add that functionality any time soon.

hmm this sorta bums me out.. my TI 4600 fan I think is starting to give.. I haven't tried to.. but I don't think I can safly remove the fan without damnaging the card.. so in short I was thinking of getting a 5900fx but a lot of people are swearing on the 9800 pros.. but if I am unable to play CM in all it's glory then I think I will have to stick with Nvidia.

Just set your AA as Application Preference.
Which means that AA is OFF. Very few games or programs actually control the FSAA or Anisotropic Filtering beyond what is set by the driver control panels (or defaulted within the driver itself).

I'm not sure why there are mixed results here with Antialiasing. It's possible that some problems may be associated with specific models of cards or different families of chipsets/cards. The chipset families are usually designated RV100, RV200, RV250, RV300, RV350 and RV360 (and there may be some others). Anyway the unified driver (Catalyst) may do some slightly different things with each chipset depending on its capabilities and/or design. This is somewhat rare, but ATI has had problems in the past with the Catalyst drivers that have been unique to certain cards or chipset families.

but I don't think I can safly remove the fan without damnaging the card..
Yes, you can. If your fan is attached via thermal epoxy rather than a set of plastic mounting pins, here's how to do it.

Freeze the card for a few hours. Take a small flat bladed screwdriver and using a twisting motion, pry up one corner or side of the heatsink. It will pop right off.

Use acetone to clean the GPU off, and apply some Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive, and a new heatsink/fan assembly from a place like Plycon. .

You're done.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Just set your AA as Application Preference.

Which means that AA is OFF. Very few games or programs actually control the FSAA or Anisotropic Filtering beyond what is set by the driver control panels (or defaulted within the driver itself).

I'm not sure why there are mixed results here with Antialiasing. It's possible that some problems may be associated with specific models of cards or different families of chipsets/cards. The chipset families are usually designated RV100, RV200, RV250, RV300, RV350 and RV360 (and there may be some others). Anyway the unified driver (Catalyst) may do some slightly different things with each chipset depending on its capabilities and/or design. This is somewhat rare, but ATI has had problems in the past with the Catalyst drivers that have been unique to certain cards or chipset families. </font>

BTS develops CM on the Mac using ATI video hardware (more than likely). The PC/DirectX version is ported over from this Mac code, though I don't know what graphics card is on that platform. All DirectX calls are implemented properly and 'clean'.

AA, in whatever form you want to call it, usually is not directly controlled by the application, though more games are coming out that can do this. I don't know if there are standard DirectX/OpenGL calls that control this feature for all of the graphics cards and their drivers that are out in the marketplace. Because if these calls don't exist, then you have to program this feature for every driver family that is released (assuming such calls change). It's generally simpler for the developer to have the control panel change this setting rather than add and update this code all the time.

'Application Preference' generally means that AA is OFF when it comes to most games on the market since they won't force the driver to change this setting on the fly when they load up. Thus the default for this setting is OFF.

Ironically AA can cause bluriness in the on screen image. This is an artifact of the way most AA routines work. Higher sampling rates and different methods of sampling help this, but often your image will appear blurrier, but have less 'jaggies' along edges when AA is enabled.

ATI has only recently become 'the performance choice' on the PC platform. They've been almost the only game in town on the Mac platform until a little over a year ago when NVidia finally released some hardware for the Mac. With CMx2, which should more than likely be based on OpenGL for both Mac and PC, fog may become available for the ATI cards and others that support 'vertex fog'.

AA problems however will most likely continue (off and on) since this is one of the areas that driver developers concentrate on in order to optimize their driver performance. Many of these 'optimizations' carry a price however that results in breaking one game or another (often many) by 'bending and breaking' how well they support the graphical APIs to get those improvements.

[ October 23, 2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Under the RAVE 3D API on the Mac you can see fog with ATI hardware. This fog is generated with fog-tables. It comes down to ATI not wanting to support fog-tables (or their emulation) under DirectX (and possibly OpenGL) on the PC. The hardware and/or drivers are capable of doing this - if ATI wanted to put the code in there to do this. One reason they may have skipped fog-table support is that they've reasoned that vertex fog should be nearly as good in appearance with less loss of a performance that fog-tables create.

However there are recent developments in the RAVE drivers for ATI's latest hardware that have some severe problems with 16-bit color RAVE games such as CM. It a generally unhappy state of affairs with most video drivers today, from whatever company.

[ October 27, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

ok just to set the record straight. AA works on the r300..9600/9700/9800 cards.. it is just awsome!2xAA is real good .. 6xAA is great too but ya cant tell unless you zoom right on somthing. so realy 4xAA is the sweet spot. the problem is you loose the text in the menue and the the ingame INFO pop ups(?)

from what i can tell as of this post,it is the gamma correction of the MSAA It just borks the the text boxes. So the the white text is unreadable in a white box...duh! and the menue too . I can see the blue and yellow text tho! As you can tell im a newbie player but im real old school boarder.. ASL was my life for a while...avalonhill games are piled up in the closet... but for the last 10 years its been comps and FPS games.. now im bac to the thinking games. These AA results are from the original CMBO patched up. it seems like a easy fix if enough ppl sent in complaints to: http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/

so untill some fix is in im running at 1600/1200 or 1792/1344, no AA ,full AF, its real sharp and it is way fast and playable. (9700pro)

• 2 weeks later...