Nvidia 169 drivers make CMSF crash

My installation of 1.06 ran fine (graphically), but since I updated to 1.07, framerates have dropped dramatically and with AA on the game crahses within minutes of starting a scenario. I managed to make the game playable by setting the graphics to the rock-bottom setting, but even then only barely. At least it didn't crash.

In trying to solve the issue I reverted my Nvidia 169 drivers back to the 163 drivers with which I had been playing 1.06, and voila it worked. I have no idea what the underlying issue is, but perhaps someone with a similar computer setup has experienced the same? In any case, it might be a good idea to make the next update compatible with the latest grapic drivers (not just Nvidia).

Bad thing is that I now have to play other games (Crysis) with inferior drivers, so if anyone knows a workaround such that I do not have to wait until the next CMSF update?

Setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.61 GHz

2 GHz mem

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

Windows Vista Premium 32-bit

Originally posted by Pzman:

You could always upgrade... I mean, down grade to Windows XP, that might work. ;)

I say that because the 169 drivers work just fine with XP Pro and CMSF, with a 8600GT, with x2 4800+, 2GB (not Ghz) RAM.

My attitude towards Vista is a bit like my attitude towards CMSF: I'm not giving up that easily. :D

Perhaps what is covered there applies to you too?
I did tweak around with the CMSF and Nvidia settings, but it didn't help for me. Or at least the absolute rock bottom settings were the settings that worked 'best'. My current Nvidia 163 driver setup with Improved/Improved, 4x AA, VS on works better then the best I could do with the 169 drivers, and it's stable. Besides, my gripe with the setting Missinginreality proposes is the AA off setting. I like my wheels to be at least a litte bit round. smile.gif

Any chance that Battlefront could address the 169 drivers issues? My 8800GT (ASUS TOP) freezes with these drivers also. CMSF is the only game this happens in. It's a bit of a pain to rollback to earlier drivers for just one game. Maybe there will be a hotfix from NVIDIA.

I never had probs in this area with CMSF before, and my system runs rock-solid with every other game I've loaded.

Anybody got the dope here?

Originally posted by Calvin:

Any chance that Battlefront could address the 169 drivers issues? My 8800GT (ASUS TOP) freezes with these drivers also. CMSF is the only game this happens in. It's a bit of a pain to rollback to earlier drivers for just one game. Maybe there will be a hotfix from NVIDIA.

I never had probs in this area with CMSF before, and my system runs rock-solid with every other game I've loaded.

Anybody got the dope here?

My 8600GT has the same problem.

When I roll back to 163 drivers,the FPS is playable.