Problem in "A walk in Paris" map please help

This is an odd problem, so i'll try to be as detailed as I can. When my Dad (axis), and I (Allied) Play against each other in the "A walk in Pairs" mission, something odd happens. on my dads turn, (Axis), when he clicks on LOS, Target, or anything that drawns a colored line, it slows down, its not smooth, the line "jump's" to where his mouse is, rather than smoothly follow it, its very hard for him to try to target or move. Almost as if the game slows down.

Now, when on my turn, nothing strange happens at all, the line moves smoothly as it should. I tried to recrate the problem on other maps, and yet even on the most Huge of maps, never got it. It only happens on the Paris map. Now, I know that its not the graphics making the game slow down for two reasons.

1. It does not slow down on *my* turn on the same map.

2. I have a high end comupter, 866mhz, 512ram, Geforce 2 GTS video card.

With that said, I now post my problem in the hopes that the CM Community can help. I would enjoy playing the Paris Map with my Father, and hope that you, or the Tech guys, can help.

Ask me anything if you need more info.

I will say I do have a number of Mods, such as the Mad Mutt Mods, Uniform Mods, Terrain Mods, Building Mods, and Small Arms Mods, and fire and explosion mod. No tank, or other such things as of yet. All Maps work with these mods, only problem, is with Paris, on axis side.

Thank you,

Shane, aka Volker.

I assume that you're 'hotseating' here in CM. I also assume that you're playing with the Internet-released version at that you're at version 1.12 of CMBO (which would be the case if you purchase CMBO after March 2001).

If you're hotseating the game (both players taking turns on the same computer), then what you're running into is strange. I don't think that CMBO will have different settings for each player (weather, horizon, tree detail, etc.). The only difference I would think may be the 'view level' where a higher view may be a little slower, but not to the extent that you're seeing. LOS checks are one of the more CPU intensive things done in CM (outside of turn calculation) and the number of buildings in the 'Walk in Paris' scenarios makes it among the slower scenarios on the CD. However I can't account for why one side would be much slower than the other. In this scenario the Allies have more equipment than the Germans to my knowledge and I can't imagine why tracing LOS for the Germans would be so much slower than for the Allies.

What OS are you running and what video driver version do you have installed ?

You may want to experiment with a PBEM game where you just save the PBEM file and then have the opponent open it up on the same computer and see if this has the same speed problem as a hotseat game.

Schrull, this is a repost of my response to the original thread:

Volker, I just tried hotseating in that battle. I, too, noticed the extreme choppiness while commanding the Axis forces. Any line drawn moves very erratically. Scrolling the map is slow, too, but it's slow when I'm giving orders to both Axis and Allies.

My system isn't as beefy as yours (733mhz, 256MB, MatroxG400 card)

I don't know what could be causing this, but did want to confirm the existence of the behavior.

The erratic behavior occurred regardless of camera altitude/rotation. Also, it seems odd that the US forces, starting heavily concentrated among all those buildings, have a smoother LOS line than the Germans, who start out in fairly open terrain.

I'm running a P3-733, 256MB, Win98 2-Ed (Version 4.01something), Matrox G400 (the drivers are really old, but don't know the version)

If you want, I'll post complete system stats after I get home.

DjB