Monitors and video card troubles...

I've just tried out both an nVidia FX5700 and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro on my new rig (AMD 64 3400+, 1GB RAM), and both suffered from the same problem: in CM, when moving about the screen, lettering goes dark and kind of scrunched up, and everything else looks a little strange. Even when playing other non-3D games, just scrolling around the map is very painful on the eyes, as things seem not to redraw fast enough. I've tried all kinds of tweaks and configurations with the video cards, but nothing helps. Then I wondered about my monitor - it's an old Gateway 15" LCD which only has a refresh rate of 60Hz. Could it be this which is causing the problem? Any ideas would be appreciated...

If you're not running at your LCD's "native resolution" you may see a certain type of scaling-artifacting. The 60Hz vertical refresh rate shouldn't really be responsible for what you're seeing as far as I'm aware. However your 15" Gateway LCD probably has a native resolution of 800x600 or most likely 1024x768. If you're not running CM at this resolution, then the display has to scale (interpolate) that resolution to the display's resolution. This often results in text looking 'chunky' and unappealing. I'm guessing that this is what you're seeing.

As for the display not updating fast enough, I'm not sure what the cause of that would be. The 60Hz refresh rate shouldn't really affect that. The only thing that a low vertical refresh should do is possibly cause a bit of strain on the eyes since the refresh is visibly perceptible. On an LCD display the vertical refresh rate is usually less noticeable than it is on a CRT display.

Which OS and what motherboard are you using and what 'tweaks' have you already tried ?

The OS is WinXP Home with SP2, and the motherboard is a Gigabyte K8NS Pro. The Gateway monitor's native resolution is 1024 x 768, and that's the resolution that I'm using. As for tweaks, I just tried various combinations of settings for the nVidia (differing levels of antialiasing, etc), and for the ATI I was using a 3D Rage tweaker with which I turned off the Z mask. Nothing seemed to help, though.

I didn't have this problem at all when I used the same monitor with my old rig (Pentium III 1Ghz, 512 RAM, ATI Radeon 7000).