Infantry killing tanks

You may discover while playing the allied camp infantry may be left to fend off Panzer 4J and panther tanks before reinforcements show up.

Usually the tanks rush forward if your infants are inline just behind a row of shrubs, and lying down. As the tank approaches close enough order the bazooka man to target tank, simultaneously throw 2 or 3 grenades, and have the LMG gunner start pinnging the tank. Takes 2 or 3 zook shots and the crew will bail. Works better with 2 squads. Works even better if your squads have rifle grenades and panzer vermin.

usually the tank will nail my bazooka guy before he manages to put the thing on his shoulder.

I even had a tank destroyer rotate 180 degrees and shoot the poor guy before he manages to make the shot.

I mean the AI instantly switches fire to any threat, and they NEVER miss at those ranges.

It does feel kinda retarded when you get shot by an AT/tank destroyer's main weapon at 10 meters.

And I do mean get shot, those things kill you like a bullet and not the HE blast.

If we want to run the maths of it, apparently the game takes in mind the speed of a target for it's targetting calculations and not the angular velocity (or prefferably a mix of both).

Angular velocity makes it impossible for any heavy turrets to track any small targets moving in close range and plain speed makes it harder to hit the target.

Handheld AT weapons seem really inaccurate and when they hit they very rarely score a kill, either no effect or an immobilisation is what I usually see. This goes for both mine and the AI teams. I usually open fire at about 1/2 maximum range from the rear or flank if I can get away with it - usually I try to do this by hiding in bushes behind walls. No idea if that's historical or not?

Have fun

Finn

I got some instant kills with the PanzerSchrek (belonging to elite fallschirm jaeger's) against lighter vehicles like m8's.

One time i got a bazooka in the side of a JagdPanther effectively disabling the tracks.

However i'm dissapointed by panzerfausts (1944 model) With a 15cm Hollow Charge it should penetrate shermans with relative ease, especially the earlier versions. However only got a engine hit once; the rest did nothing or missed :( ..

> I think it's historical correct that most hand held AT Weapons can't penetrate heavier tanks from front. Going for the tracks or from behind is what I heard a common used practice. I thought that the 15cm PanzerFaust would be an expeption to this, but i'm not sure.

Originally posted by Lethaface:

I got some instant kills with the PanzerSchrek (belonging to elite fallschirm jaeger's) against lighter vehicles like m8's.

One time i got a bazooka in the side of a JagdPanther effectively disabling the tracks.

However i'm dissapointed by panzerfausts (1944 model) With a 15cm Hollow Charge it should penetrate shermans with relative ease, especially the earlier versions. However only got a engine hit once; the rest did nothing or missed :( ..

> I think it's historical correct that most hand held AT Weapons can't penetrate heavier tanks from front. Going for the tracks or from behind is what I heard a common used practice. I thought that the 15cm PanzerFaust would be an expeption to this, but i'm not sure.

I don't know if it is accurate or not but i have noticed that the HEAT ammunition tends to kill the crew inside and leave the outside of the tank relatively intact, so what may seem to be a nothing hit may in fact be an intact tank with a dead crew.

yes, I found that zooming in on the tank and listening for the engine tells you what's going on.

There's a problem with the game concerning dead crews and otherwise disabled tanks. Your troops keep shooting that empty panzer for the 1-2 mins it takes for it to show as empty while his panzer friends 20m behind is shooting the crap out of you.

It's one of those situations where you have to micromanage everything.

On the other hand the AI notices the death of the crewmembers and switches fire (that's how I realize my crew is dead)

As for HEAT rounds, wouldn't the lack of an explosive head reduce the damage caused inside the tank in favor of penentration at any range?

Although I have seen tigers repeatedly shooting heat into my tanks and obliterating the entire crew, just the crew.

You actually may be right, i noticed on several occasions that enemy tanks which were hit by for example panzer fausts werent really doing anything anymore. However, most of the time i also disabled their turret (thus switching to other targets) with another weapon so i wasn't sure what happened to them (firing bow machine gun or not). If they only disable crew, it seems quite realistic to me since hollow charges make a 'plasma' burst (steel (alloy) between liquid & solid form) through the armor causing havoc to the crew but not necesarily causing hardware mailfunction. However in a real life battle you would quickly notice the tank right in front of you not loading any shells/moving the turret, while in TOW you have many opposing tanks and tanks/inf/art under your own command so you might not be able to monitor them all closely individually... Perhaps it should be clear when a tanks crew is disabled beyond succesfull firing even a machinegun.

Even though, this is a tricky subject; perhaps the reality is simulated 'perfect' already but we just can't notice (in time)... Il try to investigate further

I find AT grenades useless against heavy AFVs. Not even track damage most of the time. I still find this *odd*, to say the least.

Remember the Marksmanship skill is required for shooting small arms. Some guys literally can't hit the side of a barn or Tiger at 10 yards.

Note that the tanks can still move and fire with only two crew (in fact you could do it with one). So a tank sitting there for a while with incapacitated crew will probably "wake up" in a minute or so!

I've had some of the best fun hunting tanks in villages with a squad of men. Hiding behind walls and buildings is definitely the way to go. Need to micro-manage though, but very rewarding if you can pull it off.