Anyone have suggestions for St. Lo (Allied Campaign)? I've tried five or six different strategies (flanking right, flanking left, rush, long distance shootout) and nothing works. No matter how I shell the AT emplacements, I'm lucky if I can knock out one or two, and the rest easily cut my armor to pieces when I try to move them down into the valley. Air support is useless. And even if I get a toehold, the big pack of panthers and other nasties shows up to counterattack between the two hills before my reinforcements arrive. Good lord. Is there some obvious strategy or trick that I'm missing?

Here is what I have done, but I am stuck when I have to probe St. Lo. The Pz V and VIs are wasting me...

1st I got my tanks to a safe spot. The rest is explained in pictures.

stlo1.jpg

St.jpg

BTW, "Well Hippen" = "Well Hidden" LOL!

Well, let me know how you guys do...

Carl

Thanks a lot, Orion. I'll give it a try. Really smart. I didn't think about forcing the AI to advance its tanks into the waiting infantry AT. And your sequence makes more sense that what I've tried.

I'm enjoying TOW overall, but one gripe I have is that so many of the missions seem to depend on a very specific sequence of actions. It's a lot more like a puzzle game than Combat Mission, for instance. That can be fun at times, but I do miss the more free play of CM, where you could succeed in a number of different ways or make a few mistakes early on and still make enough smart decisions thereafter to pull it out of the fire.

And yeah, Wolfseven, I agree that no sane WWII commander would try an advance this without lots of smoke. Even then, it's a questionable call. I'd think an actual probing force would take one gander into that valley and sit back to wait for reinforcements. But I've started to view TOW as something of an alternate reality WWII game where daring / stupid actions are the norm. :D

That scenario requires you to take a set-piece mentality. Take your time, scout everything well in advance. Keep your 'zookas forward, I wasted the first German attack easily with a line of hidden 'zookas.

The central patch of forest, just down the slope from the start point, is a great spot to stage your infantry, as it is protected from direct fires.

The second German armoured wave is easy to take out, if you have your armor hidden behind the very large hills, you can just flank them.

I personally speaking had no problems with the guns, the air power and arty made short work of them.