Missing Folders

Ted

My brother went to Iraq a not to long ago and knowing he did not have access to a computer that he could load Combat Mission on he bought a laptop:

Hewlett-Packard Presario C500

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic

Version: 6.0.6000 Build 6000

Video: Mobile Intel®945GM Express Chipset Family

It’s an older laptop (just wanted to play CMBB and CMAK) but it does have Windows Vista on it.

He loaded up CMBB. He loaded a scenario to play by pbem.

He made his move, pressed Go and created a name for the pbem file and saved it.

He opened Outlook and when he went to attach the PBEM file it couldn’t find the PBEM folder.

He went to Explorer (or whatever the Vista equivalent is) and found the CMBB location under the Program Files folder and sure enough there was no “PBEM” folder (or the “Saved” folder for that matter).

Just to test he then opened the game, started multiplayer and could see the pbem file and load the file to the point it asked for a password (of course it was his opponents turn at that point).

So, bottom line, Vista cannot see the two folders but CMBB can,

Does this make any sense the way I described it?

It’s very puzzling.

Has anybody else seen this kind of problem?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• 2 weeks later...

My Vista experience is very limited, so I don't have a detailed answer for you. However I believe someone else has run into this problem before. It seems to be related to file system security where either the application and/or the user doesn't have 'write' rights to the directory where CM is installed at. So when a PBEM file is to be written out it is unable to do so.

This was a response to a similar question from Sgabuzzino in another thread:

I had this problem. Go to control panel. Go to Security Centre. Go to Other Security Settings. Go to User Account Control and turn it off.

It was a while ago when I had this problem. You might want this User Account Control on though. On the properties of the CMBB folder there are Security Settings and such, but I got nowhere with that.

Everything works perfectly for me now.

pwncake said this (though I'm not sure if it absolutely accurate since the original poster had administrative priviledges):

just right click on the cmbb or cmak shortcut run as administrator and here you go.

thats normal in VISTA so get used to it.

That way you dont have any probs with folders etc.

if you want to get administrator rights

go to desktop my computer right click then manage go then to users/groups and select users select your name double click and go to members and add administrator.

That was exactly the problem for both the CMBB and CMAK missing folders.

From my brother:

"Oh, everything works in CMBB the way it should now. It was turning off the administrator privileges that did the trick. It also eliminated all those annoying windows coming up asking me if I approved of doing things when I opened anything up or saved things or anything. I be set free.

Please thank everyone who helped with this."

Well you're the "everyone" Schrullenhaft.

Thanks for the help! smile.gif