ATI X1950 in TOW?

I am thinking about upgrading my computer with a ATI X1950 (AGP) graphic card.

I have read in other thread in this board (Topic: Sapphire ATI x1600pro 256mb) that some players are having problems with this card when running TOW (TOW seems to be running with very low FPS).

Is anybody running TOW with a ATI X1950 graphic card satisfactorily?? Which CPU and operative system are you using?

I was thinking about buying that card to improve TOW... I can't believe it is giving very low FPS in TOW :-(

Txema

Originally posted by Txema:

I am thinking about upgrading my computer with a ATI X1950 (AGP) graphic card.

I have read in other thread in this board (Topic: Sapphire ATI x1600pro 256mb) that some players are having problems with this card when running TOW (TOW seems to be running with very low FPS).

Is anybody running TOW with a ATI X1950 graphic card satisfactorily?? Which CPU and operative system are you using?

I was thinking about buying that card to improve TOW... I can't believe it is giving very low FPS in TOW :-(

Txema

Yes I have it just make sure you set no shadows and low water everything else you can set on medium

SKy details is on high

Terrain is on medium, yes there something wrong between the game and the new GPU's.

they are working on it. ;)

Originally posted by Txema:

I am, yes.

I have everything maxed and it runs quite well on this low-end PC. I'm in the process of building a whole new system, though I can't see the performance improving drastically, as it's very smooth on this tired, low-end horse: AMD 64 3500+, 2GB DDR, 512MB version of an X1950 Pro, A8V Deluxe, X-Fi and WinXP Pro (SP2).

[ May 19, 2007, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: flintlock ]

Txema, I have a Asus X1950Pro with an AMD X2 4600, 2GB and Vista Home Premium. In general everything runs smooth and easy with everything on highest setting. Only after fiddeling around with AA and AF settings in the CCC I ran into problems with the shadows of the game.....

All video settings in ToW on max:

AA and AF at the standard setting after driver installation AND "object shadows" or "self shadowing" on - the game is smooth and perfect.

AA and AF cranked up to the max AND "object shadows" or "self shadowing" on - the game is at ~1-4FPS.

AA and AF cranked up to the max AND "no shadows" - the game is smooth and perfect.

I am right now in the process of figuring out, which of the AA, AF or Catalyst AI setting it is, that causes the problem.

Uwe

I have a ASUS ati radeon x1950pro pci express and vista.

Everything runs smoothly.

For me it is the best price\performance video card in the market.

But it doesn't suport directx 10 yet, but if you are not going for Vista can forget about that.

I have a AMD 64 2800+, Asus K8V SE Deluxe, 1gyg DDR2 Ram, 7200rpm Sata1 HD's in Raid 0, Windows XP SP2.

I have the Saphirre x1950 and the game runs smoothly on high settings and 1024.

As a tip buy remove the stock fan/cooler from the card and replace it with a big one like a Zahlman or something. It is known that the stock fan is underpowered and will not cool enough.

Originally posted by G.Mooyman:

remove the stock fan/cooler from the card and replace it with a big one like a Zahlman or something.

Just a caveat for those entertaining this: doing so will void your warranty. Whether or not this is a consideration is a matter of personal opinion--just wanted to put it out there.

It is known that the stock fan is underpowered and will not cool enough.
While I've replaced stock fans on older video cards in the past, I've found the cooling solution on this card adequate for a mid-range graphics card (I'm not OC'ing it). That's not to suggest it couldn't be improved, just that it works well in my application.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for all your detailed answers. I really appreciate them !!!

It seems that Wolfseven is the only one that is experiencing important difficulties with the ATI X1950 card in TOW. The rest of the users seem quite happy with the card in TOW. Am I rigth?

Wolfseven ,

have you tried the latest ATI drivers?

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Reichenberg ,

Have you been able to figure out, which of the AA, AF or Catalyst AI setting it is, that causes the problem?

Thank you very much again for all your help !!!

Txema

Hi

Can people give their CPU and M/B combo's with this card

If people are getting good perfoemance with this card and others not the motherboard must be an issue along with the cpu

this would help with new build

ATI rules

Best Rgds

good gaming

Wolfseven,

Thank you very much for the information. It's great news !!!

Can you confirm that using the new 7.5 drivers, and an ATI X1950 card, you are getting good frame rates in TOW even with the SHADOWS on??

Txema

yes I'm using the 1600 pro as my PSU was'nt up to snuff for that card 1950 pro.

But yes with these new drivers, I'm getting better performance from the game now with these 7.5

I'm building a new system right now. I got everything installed but when I opened up the Ultra X Connect modular 700 watt power supply,

I had a nice surprise it wasnt a 700 watt even though the box said 700 watt it was a 600 watt xf600. so my current building system is delayed right now

Specs.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975xICH7R Express chipset 65nm ATI Crossfire Dolby Master Sound

DDR800/867

Windows XP Home SP2

supports the new Quad4

Intell E6600 Core Duo 2.4 GHz 1066 FSB

4MB L2Cache

4GB Patriot Ram PC6400

PCIe ATI 1600Pro 512Mb ATI Crossfire

Seagate500GB SATA/300

[ June 09, 2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Wolfseven ]