Losing patience with this game

Hello

I have a dual core Intel P4, 3.0. NVidia 7800 GT graphics card, 2.0 Gigs RAM.

I am only running the game at 1024 x 768, and I am still getting freezes leading to crashes. When the game crashes, it switches my desktop resolution to 1024 X 768.

I have carefully followed the suggestions from this board, including only enabling 1 CPU, and reducing the resolution from my starting point.

My Computer should easily have the power to run this game, according to your recommended specs, but I still have this problem.

It seems to be getting worse. I was able to run the demo, and then the first mission of the French campaign almost to its close before it crashed, using 1280 X 960, but now at the lower settings, I get freeze/Crashes almost immediately that I start a scenario.

This game is so buggy, that I am losing patience rapidly. I have paid good money for the advanced release, and the results frankly have been cr*p. By the way, I have not received my DVD yet.

I own all the BATTLEFRONT COMBAT MISSION games, and enjoy them thoroughly. But my THEATER OF WAR experience has made me think twice about ever buying anything from your company again.

try doing this it seem to work for meC:\Program Files\Battlefront\Theatre of War\users\player1 delet the ~data.usr file. I also unchecked the run single cpu box, I havent had a crash as of since. It seems that when I change my video setting thats when the frezz's started. let me know how it goes.

when you have a freeze or ctd

do you return to windows using the CTrl+ ALt+ DEl command, press the windows key or just put another cd in to atuo play, if any of these can you go on the net to see if after recovering, your graphics behave as if there using the windows driver, ie the page is choppie when you page up and down.

A simple way to return to the graphics driver is to

right click on DT

properties

settings

attempt to change from 16bit to 32bit or 32 to 16

when windows prompt you say keep say no (cancel)

Can you report if the graphics driver is now active

ie

on the net the page up and page down are smooth

may sound that I've gone mad,

but I do susppect the windows graphic driver is taking over from the cards driver in game, may explain the slowness of some people with due cores

also check that the screen resolution hasn't changed or the refresh rate has gone to 60hz

It's ok on my old system ,but I'm having issues on my new one

good gaming

*Buzzsaw*,

1. What is your operating system (and a version of the service pack)?

2. What is a version of your video drivers?

3. When do the lockups and freezes happen? During loading the mission? During the game? What mission do you play when the game locks up?

Could you email me these answers to gavd@1c.ru so I might ask you additional questions and maybe give recommendations?

[ May 06, 2007, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]

One other suggestion that is working for some people with Nvidia cards is to disable Shadows.

We are investigating the connection between shadows and Nvidia cards, but we have reports from several people that turning them off resulted in the crashes stopping.

Madmatt

I can understand other peoples impatience. I have a similar problem. Nobody said it was NVidia's problem though, but a conflict between the card and the game.

I find it odd that this issue was not identified before the game release in beta testing specially being the NVidia cards so popular.

But until the patch arrives the only way around that worked for me is turn the shadows off. Yes, its not a real solution! So I hope the patch comes soon and I can have my shadows back.

On the other hand I know how tricky this issues are and I do believe they are working on it to try and find a solution.

I'm not giving up on this game so the only thing to do is wait.

Webwing, thats just it though. Several of our testers have GeForce cards (including my #1 tester Rune) and NONE OF THEM ever encountered these problems. In fact, in all my months and months of play testing, I can't ever recall the game crashing on me and have gotten consistently good performance even though my main gaming rig is below the suggested specs.

They key thing to realize is that the problems being reported are more complex than they initially appear and would seem to point more to different configurations of hardware, software, drivers and settings causing conflict than just a simple "it won't work with my video card" type of deal.

This is what we are working on and testing and trying to fix right now though.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Webwing, thats just it though. Several of our testers have GeForce cards (including my #1 tester Rune) and NONE OF THEM ever encountered these problems. In fact, in all my months and months of play testing, I can't ever recall the game crashing on me and have gotten consistently good performance even though my main gaming rig is below the suggested specs.Madmatt

My comp is also below the specs and I really cant complain about the performance apart from the shadows issue.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

They key thing to realize is that the problems being reported are more complex than they initially appear and would seem to point more to different configurations of hardware, software, drivers and settings causing conflict than just a simple "it won't work with my video card" type of deal.

This is what we are working on and testing and trying to fix right now though.

Madmatt

Yes the number of combinations is huge. In a way I'm lucky because I can play the game very well if I turn off shadows. Most of all I can use the editor which some people have problems with. That would really make me mad.

But the way you guys are always around to explain things and tell in detail whats going on behind the scenes is quite something.

Let's exercise some patience. smile.gif