Microsoft visual C++ runtime error

Originally posted by dmg:

Do you have any problems with MissionEditor? Can you launch it?

It won't launch either, but with a different error message. I'm currently at work and don't remember the exact message - said I didn't have the latest version of something X03 or something. I did load that (whatever the name was) but I still get the message. I'm wondering if maybe my firewall is interfering.

Also, try to run towsetup.exe. Does it show any mistakes when launched?

Most probably it is eLicense problem (see http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/troubleshooting.html , "I launch the game but NOTHING happens AND I never get to the eLicense panel to enter my license code OR game won't launch and Mission Editor reports a "Wrong game version" error" for details)

[ April 27, 2007, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]

1. What does MissionEditor tell you when launching? If it asks for the latest version of DirectX 9, then download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en and install

2. Tell me more about your computer and operating system. What is your OS (and what service pack is installed on it)/video card/RAM and CPU? Do you try to run ToW as admin or as an ordinary user (guest)? What is the driver version of your video card?

3. Did you successfully register your copy by eLicense after the first launch of the ToW or the registration dialog box never appeared?

4. Also I advise you to look through http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/troubleshooting.html (I'm sorry, I misprinted the link in the previous message).

5. Did you try to run demo version? How did it work?

[ April 27, 2007, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]

dmg thanks for your help.

1. I did the download you indicated and the Mission Editor works now. Thanks!

2. I am using a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows XP. Honestly I don't know the answer to the rest of your questions. Where do I look to get the info. you need?

3. I successfully registered my eLicense.

4. Will do.

5. I have not tried to run the demo version.

To get to know your computer and system information:

1. Right click on My Computer at Desktop, in the popup window choose Properties item.

2. In the System Properties dialog choose General tab. Tell me what is written there about your System and Computer

To get to know your video card information:

1. Right click on Desktop, in the popup window choose Properties item.

2. Select Settings tab

3. Click Advanced button

4. In the appeared dialog box select Adapter tab

5. Tell me what is your Adapter Information

6. Click Properties button

7. In the appeared dialog box select Driver tab

8. Tell me the date and the version of your driver.

9. To close all dialog boxes press Cancel buttons.

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Diminsion 8200

Intel®

Pentium® 4CPU 1.80GHz

1.79GHz, 256mb of RAM

Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I'm having a hard time finding the driver information. When I right click on the desktop I don't get the tabs (I know what you are talking about, I have seen it at work). I'm not exactly sure in the device manager where it is located. The is a item called Legacy Audio Drivers, but I can not find the information you request there.

Thanks again fro your help!

Would this work?

Dimension E520 Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Basic

Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

Video Cards 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Hard Drives 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢

Floppy Drive and Media Reader 13 in 1 Media Card Reader

Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

CD or DVD Drive 48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Short answer yes.

I was going to get a Pentium D but price was a little out of my range.

As for Vista your call but, if it were me I would wait until service pack 2 is released before buying it.

ATI makes good cards it's just their drivers I hate. I prefer Nvidia.

If possible you might want to see if you can

find someone who can build you a machine, very

good prices at Newegg.

Originally posted by zebedee:

Dell Diminsion 8200

Intel®

Pentium® 4CPU 1.80GHz

1.79GHz, 256mb of RAM

Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Please, upgrade you computer. You need more RAM (at least, 512 mb, but 1024 mb is recommended). You need more powerful CPU and much more powerful video card (see minimum and recommended reqs at https://www.combatmission2.com/tow_order.html )

Originally posted by zebedee:

Would this work?

Dimension E520 Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Basic

Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

Video Cards 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Hard Drives 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢

Floppy Drive and Media Reader 13 in 1 Media Card Reader

Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

CD or DVD Drive 48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

I think, yes, it would smile.gif

I got the new machine. I downloaded TOW but now I get the "Wrong version" editor error & main game doesn't launch problem. I read the sticky regarding this issue and turned off the DEP for TOW and the editor, rebooted and I still have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Try advices at

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/troubleshooting.html#editor_not_launching

As regards the MissionEditor, try the following:

"1. Browse into your Theatre of War game folder.

2. COPY (not move but COPY) the files "msvcr71.dll" and "msvcp71.dll"

3. Now go into the MissionEditor folder and PASTE those files there.

4. That's it! Try and launch the game and editor now."

Also, please, pay your attention that currently the missioneditor won't launch in Vista64 (though it must work in Vista32).

As regards the game itself, try to install the latest video driver for ATI (if you have ATI Radeon). E.g. for Vista32 ATI Radeon X1300 check this link http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/common-vista32.html

That didn't work.

dmg thank you for your efforts.

Is it possible to get a refund? I've never had this much hasel with a game. I don't understand why it doesn't work. I've loaded and played CMBB with out any problems. Why is it an older game works fine in Vista, but the new one doesn't. Seems kinda backwards to me.

Normal Dude I think about doing that. The problem though is that the unfortunate consequence of a Microsoft monopoly is that Vista, warts and all, will be forced on every one as the future OS. : (

I never received my hard copy of TOW, have they shipped? I'm hoping that somehow the video game goods will allow that to work on my system.