"Wrong version" editor error & main game doesn't launch?

If the problem from the subject line is what you're getting, you may want to try this. It's a procedure to shut down DEP (data execution prevention) completely, from Microsoft support pages. This is for SP2 only.

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under the Startup and Recovery field.

3. In the System startup field, click Edit. The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.

4. In Notepad, click Find on the Edit menu.

5. In the Find what box, type /noexecute, and then click Find Next.

6. In the Find dialog box, click Cancel.

7. Replace policy_level with AlwaysOff.

WARNING Make sure that you enter the text accurately. The Boot.ini file switch should now read:

/noexecute=AlwaysOff

8. In Notepad, click Save on the File menu.

9. Click OK two times.

10. Restart the computer.

If you do NOT have any entry for /noexcute= then it's probably not supported on your end, so you don't need to do anything.

It's important to reboot after you do this. Now DEP should be completely shut down (in theory), and if it's a DEP error you're getting, it should not appear. We have tested this here and it works, but I recall that this same approach didn't work for some Media Center users in the past.

If you don't get any improvements, feel free to switch the setting back to what it was (probably /noexecute=OptIn)

Martin

What the f*ck!!!! I've waited YEARS for this game to finally launch.Then I've paid 66$ for this f*cking thing, wich took 5 hours to download. And now the damn thing won't even RUN!!??!! When I tried to get the mission editor to start, message: download latest version of directx. BUT I HAVE DIRECTX 9.0c ALLREADY INSTALLED. WHAT THE F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm amasingly, deeply, horrofyingly DISSAPOINTED.

GET THE DAMN GAME TO WORK

It's related to licensing, yes. Most license programs can be cracked by reading out the memory files (at some point the code has to be decrypted in the computer for it to run). eLicense avoids this by using some special method, but unfortunately the same methods are often used by malware to remain undetected also. So DEP is trying to prevent it from running.

This wouldn't be a problem because there are workarounds, but unfortunately the DEP implementation in some CPUs is frankly botched and buggy. It's a very new function not even supported a couple of years ago, so maybe that's why. Anyway, we're going to get to the bottom of this, working all weekend if need be (well, we are already...)

Hi Moon...

I thought I give this another try..I've unlicensed

the game and removed it from my computer.

I closed virus/firewall and downloaded a fresh

copy of the ToW Demo...loaded OK

loaded the Codec

set Game Configuration Menu to low for everything

unticked:

Enable EAX

High landscape detail

High Sky detail

video mode set as 1024x768x60Hz (default)

I downloaded a fresh copy od DirectX9.0C April/10

Went into DEP and changed it as x your suggestion

in this forum.

THE DEMO DOES NOT START

I get the hourglass followed by Icon and I don't

leave deskstop...the program closes...

Is it the game or the eLicense? was a question

I think Madmatt put to us by trying to download

and Run the Demo...maybe I'm lagging behind

did I miss a step in the Start Up procedure?

thanks for any help you can send

I have

genuine WinXP Home Edition 2002 SP2

Radeon9600 ATI 128Mg graphic card

Itel® Pentium 4 CPU 2.66Ghz

1 GB of Ram

Hi,

I just want to add the purchased version, no previous installation of demo is not running on my setup:

Dell Dimension 670 Dual Xeon 3.6, 4 GB RAM, Vista Ultimate, running as Admin, nVidia FX3400.

All other games, apps run perfectly well.

Can't say I'm very happy with this - but will wait for a resolution.

I would also add that I have no intention of running any program that requires that I make changes to the OS in order for it to run.

Regards

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I totally understand your opinion, but the fact is with so many thousands of different system configurations, some tweaking is ineviatable from time to time. All i can say though is that we are trying to provide accurate info for people with problems.

There have been some success for people with Nvidia cards though that had problems originally. Please read this thread for more details:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000119

Madmatt

OMG! It works now for some reason,The Mission editor doesnt give me the "Wrong Version" anymore. Just out of the clear blue sky..

I didnt do anything special and this has got to be the weirdest thing to happen to me..

Here is what happend..

I was messing around with my computer. My Specs are

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Geforce 7600 GT

1 Gig of Ram

XP home.

I overclocked some parts of my system.. Not because I was getting bad performance but just to get better framerates with other games I play, Like Armed Assault.

After Restarting my computer about 30 times to get things right, I increased my PCI-E bus speed and my Refrence Clock speed on my motherboard, I clicked on the mission editor and it works now..

I have no dam clue how that worked. I do not advise anybody do it.

I think I just got lucky.

Greetings Moon,

I followed your suggestions, installing the last-last Direct x Version, and checking my Boot.ini file: unfortunatly in this file there is no /noexecute entry , and I still get the error "wrong version".

This happens in Win XP-Pro with my new PC, an AMD 64 Dual core 4600+ with 4 G Ram and a ATI 1950 Plus (just bought it for Tow and future schockforce)

The silly thing is that on my other pc, and old server (where the game is very slow because fo the old hardware) is that the editor works fine: but this machine is under Win 2000 Pro...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Luca

• 3 weeks later...