Lock Up & Freezes:

Just want to keep this one on the radar. Have followed all of the tips above - Game will always Lock-up at some point - sometimes after 5 mnutes and sometimes after 1 hour. The music continues to play but the game just wont respond. I try and end the task using the task manager but it will not end. So I have to hard reeboot.

Any tips from the team? System Specs as in my first post - all drivers WHQL latest.

It's apparant now that there is major performance issues with TOW, got love those rusk'es who designed the engine, they always seem to have unresonable specifications for their games making it hard for the "lack there of" to play their game's because of lack of scaleable performance and pore optimization on today's variety of patforms.

Heck, even there own people who played this long before we did admitted to having performance problems. I don't know the answer either. I've tried difference settings, turning off the music and EAX, even running on the lowest detail settings even though when I auto-detect it sets most of the settings to high and still the same freezes and lockups. Even crazier I have almost no slow downs at all.

I did notice that in the Dunkirk mission in the German campaign it seems to freeze up at exactly at the same point in the mission before I cap the hill to crush the remaining Allied resitance. Very frustrating and even more now because I'm beginning to like this game and get the hang of it.

Same problems with lock ups here on two different computers, both less than two months old and loaded for gaming. Always takes a hard boot to get back in. It seems to happen to me after playing about 45 min. or so and usually when I'm "high in the sky" getting a birds eye view of everything. Luv the game, but I think it's bleeding memory like a punctured aorta... Medic! ;)

Originally posted by GI Jas:

It's apparant now that there is major performance issues with TOW, got love those rusk'es who designed the engine, they always seem to have unresonable specifications for their games making it hard for the "lack there of" to play their game's because of lack of scaleable performance and pore optimization on today's variety of patforms.

I don't think their specifications are unreasonable. I have a two year old laptop and I run the game just fine under most "High" video options. However, you might have hit something on the head about the "optimization on today's variety of patforms".

I don't think their specifications are unreasonable. I have a two year old laptop and I run the game just fine under most "High" video options. However, you might have hit something on the head about the "optimization on today's variety of patforms".
Your right except for the proccesor speed. A minimum of 2.6 ghz is stiff considering top rated RTS games such as Supreme Commander, C&C, etc. have lower minimum speeds listed on thier game spec's..

I really don't mean to complain but there is no reason why this should be happening and if I had the problem before in other games then I would say it's my hardware but that's simply not the case here with my machine nor any of the other people having the same problem.

I really hope BF can sort this out though, I'm not really mad at them (more at 1c than anything) although I think since they had so much time with it they should have tested out on diverse configurations to see how it ran.

Maybe they did but it looks to me they would have caught the problem before they released it out to us pore souls? Isn't that the point of tweaking the game as BF suggested to us?

Your right except for the proccesor speed. A minimum of 2.6 ghz is stiff considering top rated RTS games such as Supreme Commander, C&C, etc. have lower minimum speeds listed on thier game spec's..

Well, processor speeds don't mean what they used to mean. I have a 2.0 Ghz Pentium M which is about equivelent to a 3 Ghz Pentium 4. And, of course the new duo core Pentiums are faster than my M processor at the same Ghz, even with one core.

When they say minimum of 2.6 ghz, I assume they mean 2.6 Pentium 4 speed, which is quite old by now. Also, those RTS games don't have nearly the CPU requirements that these more "realistic" wargames have. after all those RTS don't simulate ballistics and track the shot of each buttet, or track the LOS of every unit etc... The RTS games are much more simplified. All that makes a big differece in CPU power.

Well, processor speeds don't mean what they used to mean. I have a 2.0 Ghz Pentium M which is about equivelent to a 3 Ghz Pentium 4. And, of course the new duo core Pentiums are faster than my M processor at the same Ghz, even with one core.

When they say minimum of 2.6 ghz, I assume they mean 2.6 Pentium 4 speed, which is quite old by now. Also, those RTS games don't have nearly the CPU requirements that these more "realistic" wargames have. after all those RTS don't simulate ballistics and track the shot of each buttet, or track the LOS of every unit etc... The RTS games are much more simplified. All that makes a big differece in CPU power.

Yes, I agree with you there Pak40 but the issue then would be major slow downs not total lockups?

I have 2 gigs of RAM but my proccessor speed is only a P4 2.6 ghz. I see slow downs in games that has numerous units or effects on the screen at once but never any freezes so that leads me to believe that there is something else causing the lockups and freezes? If people with Dual Core proccessors etc. are having them then clearly it's not the proccessor speed that is at fault here.

Suggestions:

- try changing the windows page file size. In XP, the page file settings are there:

Start – Settings – Control Panel – System – Advanced tab – Performance Settings group – one more Advanced tab – Virtual memory. There, click “Custom size” and set both the “Initial size” and the “Maximum size” to at least 2000 MB, 3000 is MUCH better.

- unload extra programs that are running in the background - download managers, converters, etc.

SIO

Any news on a fix for freezes yet?

To Motomouse: Have you had any freezes since your last post? Just wondering..... and how do you set the Nvidia driver settings such as the ones you listed?

I have a control panel for my ghx card (7600 GF) that has tempature, AGP, Frames per second settings, ect. but I don't see these options there you mentioned?

try deleting the old ~user.usr file see if that works worked for me if you keep monkeying around with the vedio settings the old user.ini file for some reason conflicts with the new one.