Eastern Front - Down in Flames Expansion Announced

August 15th, 2006

Eastern Front Expansion for Down in Flames announced

Take to the skies over the Eastern Front with this new expansion for the critically acclaimed Down in Flames computer game. Eastern Front adds new planes, pilots, skills, campaigns, AI enhancements and more to expand the war in the skies of World War II.

For the first time, you can fly as either Polish or Russian pilots and command new exciting planes like the LA-7 and IL-2M or take to the skies in Polish P.11C's and P.37's. But it's not just Russia and Poland that get updated planes, 29 new planes have been added, including the awesome German ME-262 jet fighter and the British Tempest V.

Eastern Front also offers over a dozen new online campaigns featuring battles over Russia, North Afrika, Europe, Japan and the Pacific and all of the new campaigns have been designed to feature the new planes.

actionLog.jpg

Click here to read more details on the Eastern Front expansion!

Rivven,

Hi well we are actually testing. We have been playing it for a long time on a different server. If you notice I am playing it on a different account than my main one. And I am pretty sure my record will be disappearing once it releases.

We are actually having trouble with one aspect so thats why it is taking a bit longer. But be patient, we REALLY want to get this out to you.

• 2 weeks later...

From the description of Eastern Front:

Eastern Front also adds the ability to create custom missions where you get to choose the exact pilots, aircraft, and teams for a dogfight.

I just want to make sure that I understand. Does this mean that if I want to dogfight 2 vs 2 I can pick who is on my side? For example, can I fly with my son against two AI elements?

That is correct. There is a screen where you can fill in the four available slots with any aircraft you want. Then each player who joins the game can choose which slot they want to fill with their pilot.

This means that players could create missions which are WAY imbalanced. We're not going to stop players from doing that, but the more imbalanced the mission, the fewer the rewards. All custom missions start at 50% of the normal XP and Kills and will be further reduced (down to 25% or even 0%) when the mission is imbalanced.

The main reason for providing custom missions is to give players a way to experiment with different aircraft and match-ups, and to just have fun playing in teams, etc. It also gives us a way to setup some interesting tournaments.

No I dont believe custom missions will be able to be flown against anything except AI. But you will be able to fly any fighter aircraft against eachother. But I havent ever tried to fly against another human considering the only other human that can play it is Stalin and he isnt as human until he's had his fill of mutton luvin. :D

Right now I am not sure if the custom missions will count towards your ladder score. It has been too hard to balance, but it is interesting to say the least. Dan is the boss so it will be up to him to decide if its just for fun or if it counts.