A great gaming moment courtesy of ToW - with pics

Tankbuster

Occasionally this game just serves up one of those moments you will never forget.

Now that the game is patched up and working very well I decided to try the Russian campaign again on medium difficulty. Its tough, really tough in places, but I am really enjoying the gameplay now.

Anyway I was on Mission 7, Strong at Heart, and it was not going well comrades. The mighty German armour (Ferdinands and Tigers) had badly mauled my artillery, tanks, PTRD gunners and reinforcements. I had burnt out wrecks and disabled tanks everywhere, but so did the Germans and I was sure I would get the Victory message soon as nothing else was coming over the horizon and nothing was moving - or so I thought :( Off to the side of my vision in the distance I could see something explode behind my defences, it was a truck I had left behind the trenches after dropping off fresh troops at the front line - and there it was a TIGER BEHIND MY LINES :eek:

I don't mind saying I panicked, as you would with a Tiger roaming free behind your trenches shooting up everything with no way of knocking it out. I figured I was doomed.

I scanned around the battlefield madly for something to use, but no, all tanks dead or disabled and the crews dead. But wait, whats that? Exhaust fumes coming from the back of a SU-152 I thought was dead! Its track is blown off on the right side. I check the crew - three of them still in there, mauled but alive! Only one round of armour piercing ammo left. Trouble is this brute has a fixed turret, I am stuck pointing in the wrong direction - what to do :confused:

The Tiger is blowing the living daylights out of my trenches. I need a diversion to lure it in front of the SU-152's gun. I see two more Zis trucks lying back behind the village. I decide to sacrifice the two trucks to see if they will draw the Tiger away toward my SU-152's gun. But will it take the bait??

I rush them in and they swerve right in front of it back towards the SU-152. It works! Its moving! I could not believe the Tiger took the bait. The Tiger circles round the back of the village to get a bead on the trucks as they make their way out of the village. It stops occasionally, but only to adjust its route. Here it comes. OK its now or never. The Tiger crawls slowly into my line of sight and targets and hits one of the trucks which explodes. It is facing me head on and its barrel is turning toward us - has it see us ?? We fire - a hit! I strain to see through the smoke........and YES we got it !!! :D The Victory message came up immediately after - what a sweet win smile.gif The crew of that SU-152 earned their medals and promotion that day. Here's a few pics of the great moment.

The sacrificed truck that the Tiger targeted at the last minute

sah3.jpg

The disabled SU-152 and a view of the shot onto the Tiger (I aimed for the body armour)

sah1.jpg

The knocked out Tiger - notice the SU-152's penetrating round through the front armour

sah2.jpg

Indeed, it's a very nice report.

You give me the taste to try it out again.

Since I purchased the game, I never played with it waiting for 'THE' patch. (stopping on the training mission where my hidden troops were automatically targeted and destroyed...)

But now, it seems time has come to fight anyway. (at least...)

And especially with my brand new 24 inches... ;)