realism

thathawk

I thought this was a great game but am becoming a bit disapointed the enemy always seem to have such a great advantage their tanks can knock out your tanks at silly ranges and yet you can not do the same regardless to where you are located if the enemy tanks are on a hill they will wipe out your units if you are on a hill and have the advantage your tanks miss and your units get wiped out the constant crashes are doing my head in as well I have tried everything. This game could be one of the greatest war games on the pc but these problems need to be ironed out may be the difficulty level is a little too hard and that is not realism

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by thathawk:

...and yet you can not do the same regardless to where you are located ...

After a while you'll find the AI isn't cheating. Essentially as it stands ToW tries to mix hordes of cool stuff throwing themselves at you with fairly realistic lethality. The net result of that (as it would be in reality) is a massacre unless you both get a lot of luck and do everything right. The effect is made worse by the 360 degree view of vehicles, absent smoke and the shared spotting. Occasionally you can concentrate your forces in much the same way that the AI does and you can massacre them, but it's rare. The problem isn't so much in the engine, more in the scenario design where even if you're scoring 5:1 kill ratios against superior opponents you can still end up losing. To me that's not a challenge it's an unrealistic exercise in gaming. I'm sure situations like those existed, but it doesn't make for a good game (or overall realism) where you're almost always faced with that position and faced with it right from the beginning (not helped by the tutorial missions encouraging what are suicidal tactics in game).

Anyways, it seems the add-on will be fixing some of the mechanics (smoke, spotting, etc) and although it's slow I think we'll also be seeing more mods and scenarios with a better philosophy. Personally I'm 'working' (actually haven't had a chance to touch it in the last month) a big mod for the German infantry - I'm going to try to get as much done on it this weekend as it's almost finished so the wait won't be much longer. I know other people are also working on stuff too.

Persevere with the game though, once it clicks what you need to do to survive (effective use of cover, concentration of firepower) the game is well worth playing.

Have fun

Finn

I must agree with Finn,

This game truely has all the stats to aid in the realism of wwii. I have an idea for making it a playable game. In this version of the game you would use all the stats that ToW has on every unit to its fullest effect. ToW is a true Gem in the Ruff. If they were to put in an overview map to which you would send your troups in as they did in WWII ie. ( Para drops and D-Day landings) on the large map and set up base camps but the catch is you would have to meet certain requirments befor a forward base could produce reinforcements.

If anyone is interested in the rest of the gameplay action please reply to this post. I feel my idea would make this a by far Must Play game.

• 3 weeks later...

I quess no one was interested in that idea...lol.

Well for now I can see that Battlefront is doing and making great strides in correcting flaws in the game and making it by far great to play. LoS is most important thing they need to work out but even still game is truely great.To me it is a must have game for anyone who enjoys WWII gaming.

This strikes me as doable in the mission editor when script campaigns can maybe reference a maybe 25x25 square or bigger strategidc map grid each depicting a map that can be played. Frontlines could be shown on the 'strategic map' & off screen battles should occur (if only simply in outcome)to reflect and influence future venues of the next battle (i.e. if you win, your left flank loses but right flank wins then next mission is to help left flank).

Coming back to the game for another look. My biggest problem is that the infantry in my experience really isnt any use in the game. They just seem like cannon fodder for armour...Also, I still see the situation where armour moves right up to a trench full of enemy infantry and just sits there unless you mico manage target selection.. :(

Yes, improving the role of infantry in the game is a must. It has already been stated that squad performance and AI is being worked for the addon. I seriously hope this means a big change for better. They also need more means to fight tanks in the early war scenarios (1939-43).