My thoughts on Theatre Of War

vin2007

I was looking forward to getting this game and once it was downloaded i fired it up and the first thing i noticed was no random battle generator only a few missions and a campaign for each side which dissapointed me as i think this is a must for a games lifespan. I know there is an editor but i havent figured it out yet and doubt i will. Blitzkrieg had no RBG which let that down and i was bored after a week.

Another thing i noticed with the heavy tanks was that germany, russia, Britain had there heavy tanks but where the hell is the american pershing, this was the only american tank that could take on the german tigers in a equal battle. Another dissapointing find but other than that not a bad game although i fear another Blitzkrieg lifespan if things stay the same.

The M36 Jackson had the armour of a tree house and in my opinion no match for any german heavy tank. Even if the Pershing entered later in the war it should of been included it was included in combat mission and in steel panthers, what a great game that was... if only.

Oh and wasnt the king tiger a late arrival in ww2 but i notice that is included.

Add a few more tanks on each side and a random battle generator and this would be the best game of its kind, pity these kind of games fall somewhat short of what you might expect.

Too bad the king tigers suffered with there speed, didnt most of them get bogged down or broke down before they even reached the front.

I won't get into the argument about what units should be in the game or not.

However I certainly agree that the lack of a quick battle option will severely reduce the longevity of ToW.

IMO the quick battles should use a select group of maps. You should pick how many players, how many assets and, possibly, a game time period. Click "Go" and you're in business.

I can't believe that this is so difficult as to have not been able to be put in the original game.

They should make some Korea missions. The infantry masscharges done by N korea would be perfect for the "AI" to handle. And we could have a seriuos amount of pershings blowing the T34:s to pieces.

I mean it, it would be cool!

Originally posted by vin2007:

Another thing i noticed with the heavy tanks was that germany, russia, Britain had there heavy tanks but where the hell is the american pershing, this was the only american tank that could take on the german tigers in a equal battle. Another dissapointing find but other than that not a bad game although i fear another Blitzkrieg lifespan if things stay the same.

Before the game came out I pretty much assumed that not all units could possibly be modeled. When you release a game that covers both East and West fronts from 1939-1945 it is an almost impossible task to model every unit available. IMO they should have concentrated the first ToW to at least a single front or even a single battle such as Stalingrad or Market Garden.

Other notable units that are missing that I wish were in the game:

M18 Hellcat

US 75mm AT gun

British 17 lb AT gun

Many British tanks

Also, I hate the lack of modeling of certain types of rounds. For example, the canister rounds for the US 37mm gun which is very deadly vs infantry in the open at close range. This would make the US M5 something to be feared by enemy infantry.

I pre-ordered the game, then downloaded, but was disappointed with the lack of options such as no battle generator, skirmish mode, non existent multiplayer etc; I don't play it anymore due to the constriction of scripting and mission structure.

Oh well...

:(:(:(

I don't mind not having the Pershing. But it would be good.

From memory it was used only in the last days of the war and not much at that and in small numbers.

The gun also (90mm IIRC) was a huge dis-appointment from memory. So maybe it was not on equal terms?

Ok i have played every single mission and campaign and i have to say it just like i did when i played the missions in Blitzkrieg, i am bored, nothing more to do and nothing more to see. Game over, so wont play anymore unless improvements are made like a random battle gen or a skirmish mode which i think is more important.

I have read other posts regarding little things like los and historical accuracy but to me content is more important and im affraid this game falls very short of that. Bring us more content, i.e.. Random battle generator, more units, not just a couple of dozen missions that become boring once you have completed them. If this game had the gameplay and content of Combat mission with the game engine of TOW this game would rule. I fear this game will die of death if new things are not implemented either through an add on/patch or an expansion, keeps fingers crossed.

I guess, that the game's creators assumed, that the mission builder will be better for users than quick battle generator or something like that. The point is however, that although the full mission builder has much larger capabilities, it also takes a lot of time to make even one mission with that tool (much more than to actually play it).

Adam

Originally posted by Petrus58:

vin2007 - I couldn't agree more, except that I gave up well before you! TOW has huge potential, but sadly I suspect that it has probably lost a large % of players for good. A shame.

It is a shame damn it. I gave up months ago and now use TOW as a coaster for my Granville Island honey lager. Great tasting beer btw. I had high expectations for this one but alas I have found a new game that has a winning track record by BFC and so far so good. Hopefully there will be a patch or 2 for TOW down the road and fans that were somewhat disappointed may one day return. ;)