persuit of ballance

evo6tme

Why is there no ballence to this game ? Its supposed to be realistic. Ive battled throught most levells (finished german campain),but now iv`e realy reached a low point. I waited so long for this game through all its name changes so when it came out i thought great and preorderd, which was afirst for me in 10 years of pc gaming. But now i think the honymoon is over so im kicking it out of bed ;)

THe reason for this is the allied mission persuit, Come on now how realistic is this ? more like Rambo takes on the world, my 3 squads 2 light chaffies 1 half track and 1 jeep, oh and dont forget rambo my sniper!! How can a force like this(or any i care to make before deployment) take on a well entrenched town, with no units to have any abillity to tactically manover its all down to luck and save. There is no cover, the at guns have laser sights my orders go unheard so all i do is give up any realistick tactics(which are unavailable anyway by the limited units under my control) and go back to the good old tactic learnt in suuden strike which i call bait ball, keep all your forces togethor as 1 big gun then kill and save, then kill and save.

Its all well and good having realistic ballistics and penitrasion values and the like but please finish the game. It seems to me the devs spent so long developing the game thay have made a game off 2 halves the first as i said world class atention to detail and the other half rushed just to get somthing out to the public becouse the first bit took years.

as i said. In parts brillient but so so unbalenced becouse its not finished. such a shame its made so hard to hide its weaknesses when it has so many strengths.

were CM was and is a joy this is contradiction(sorry cant spell)and so anoying.

Right i`ve had my rant im going to try this level again and promis myself that i won`t see if i can get my computer tower out of the window from here :D

[ June 12, 2007, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: evo6tme ]

he he smile.gif I remeber the mission you speak of... I forget how many times my sniper got er.. snipered by those pak's... very frustrating indeed.

IF its any help I ended up taking him in a jeep (I couldnt see any other purpose for the jeep being included) down the hill as close as I could get to the pak on the right flank, then crawled him up till I got LOS on all of the AT guns, a few times he did get smoked by the AA half truck though.

Then brought my 2 chaffes into a slight clearing on the right flank, from memory they were protected by a slight rise, they both toook damage, but were still fighting and took out the AT gun on the centre right, then just kept advancing my infantry in a nice even spread, by this time reinforcements arrived and it was a cake walk.

That's the problem. You have to replay a battle to know where everything is before you can beat it. That's worse than all the non-realism anyone could find in a game. At that point the battle its just a puzzle to be solved.

The attacker does not start with enough force. The the battles should be played 1st time only as that's the heart of FOW and sighting.

That's why this game needs a battle generator..which according to the developers is hard coded and this can never happen.

Therefore the game is ulimately doomed no matter how many amazing things there are and there are a lot. But thats the only real reason to play it. To check them out because they are infact cool.

A custom battle generator could be written as battles/campaigns are just xml files (and so not hard coded), but it's a lot of work. I have some ideas floating around about how to implement one, but it would of course be far preferable if it came with the game (too late for that now) or in an add-on.

Have fun

Finn

Just want to throw in I would be playing more of a flanking game if the terrain was a little better traced.

Its really hard to read every square meter of the ground. Just when you think you are flanking the main body ..Oops! my guys just found that high mound of dirt and done got themselves exposed.

I mention this because we are not only attacking with an inferior force as mentioned but exposing their a$$ to the world as well.

Originally posted by FinnN:

A custom battle generator could be written as battles/campaigns are just xml files (and so not hard coded), but it's a lot of work. I have some ideas floating around about how to implement one, but it would of course be far preferable if it came with the game (too late for that now) or in an add-on.

Have fun

Finn

Good. Even different starting positions. The fact people are solving the battles the 2nd time around, more like the 5th time in most cases is because they know where everything is. That's wrong on all accounts..turns the game into a puzzle..and defeats the FOW which might actually be portayed very well here.

I'd like to see a battle generator and able to pick your units..perhaps with the choice of a small battle or larget one.And of course a minmum 2:1 attack ration.

About starting positions has anyone noticed a bug in initial deployment, some units are outside the allowed movable area, and cannot be moved. A had a situation, when my At guns were placed just before the enemy trench and could not move them, and after clicking start battle, my AT guns were nicely destroyed without my crew having any chance,or the situation when you have multiple deployment areas (not linked), and cannot moved them from one area to another (or I dont know how).

br.

Dr.Jones

I've had this once or twice after changing the unit mix (eg taking more SPGs than in the default unit choice). I think that there aren't enough placeholders in the mission file for the maximum number of units of a particular type that you can select in some cases. So, if there's a missing placeholder, or if the placeholder's outside the deployment area you get a stuck unit until the mission starts. I've not had it quite as bad as the situation you describe, but it sounds similar.

Have fun

Finn

You know, I wonder if some of the balance issues are due to all of the stuff that was removed from the original game? Like medics, ability to repair tanks, reload tank ammo etc.

Some of the missions in TOW seem to be very unbalance and some are just broken, They can be fixed with the help of the editor. I just hope they don't break the editor with the patches and release a new version to support the new features.

Guys, I hate it when people mix up mission/campaign problems with game issues. The problems you mention are not with the game, but with the mission design. Yes, it would have been nice if they spent more time crafting better missions and campaigns. But if given the choice, I want them to get the game right. We can build better missions and campaigns over time. We cannot fix the game.

- Hobo

Originally posted by hobo:

Guys, I hate it when people mix up mission/campaign problems with game issues. The problems you mention are not with the game, but with the mission design. Yes, it would have been nice if they spent more time crafting better missions and campaigns. But if given the choice, I want them to get the game right. We can build better missions and campaigns over time. We cannot fix the game.

- Hobo

I totally agree to a point, what thay have done game wise is great,but my point still exists. Even thought i have now finished this map, it still exposes the faults (hey i play flaspoint/armed assault so i know some games with great potential take ages to get right)

After 5/6 years of development 1C had to get a game out(we all got to eat smile.gif ) and left us with a bag of bits which hopfully will all come together.

Back in the codemaster days there was massive arguments about map size and engagment ranges, no`one ever brought up force size ? Why play majour battles which in history were fought with battallion or brigade level with 4 tanks :confused: . I dont mind this but dont try and depict major operations like st`loe!, why not let us take a small quarter in realistick terms. Is it the game engine or did they think our comps would fry under the load :D

. As you said dont blame the game. I just dont think weave seen enought of it yet, there is a long list of stuf i`m shure would have been in if they had time , but time is short and its only a game.

Yeh there are flaws, more than i would like to see. But look at the competition?, so i`m going to bitch a bit but stick with it cous there aint no competiton??