Reusing units to create new nations and expand existing ones?

FinnN

Now, I've not looked at it personally yet, but it seems from the other thread that copying and reusing units might well be possible. This means that some nations could be expanded, for example:

</font>

• Polish get the Renault FT-17</font>
  • Germans get the Char B1, maybe some of the soviet stuff?</font>

More interestingly though, I wonder if additional nations could be added? Finland comes to mind immediately. For the infantry I think there are some German infantry models with field caps, and German or Polish helmeted troops would fit too - with new textures of course. There's plenty of models for them in terms of British, French, German and Soviet tanks and guns too (again with new textures).

What about other nations? Hungarians, Bulgarians, Romanians, etc? Any suggestions for copying units from nation to nation, or making new ones?

Have fun

Finn

This would not be a problem, for vehicles, but the skinning of soldiers would be, because unifroms look very differently, just replacing texture on the uniform would not be enought. This would work on for contries with same uniforms.

br.

Dr.Jones

I shall have a quick look at this this evening. I'm not sure the uniforms are modeled that differently in most cases - a lot of the detail appears to be textured on. I think headgear may be in a separate place too as officers basically are the same as troops in most cases (plus you can see heads sticking through French helmets sometimes) but with different headgear - if this is the case I'm sure combinations could be picked out from what's available. Will be interesting to check it out in any case.

Have fun

Finn

Just post count I guess.

Seems like helmets and bodies are in the same file after all. All the humans seem to inherit the same skeleton file though (unsuprisingly) so if the meshes are moddable adding new troop types should be fairly easy.

I'm stunned by how much detail is in plain text in visibility.ini about how spotting works, unfortunately much of it in Russian. One interesting thing if I understand it correctly is that infantry get a 20% bonus against spotting from (I think) 25m of bushes, needing 50m for 100%. Looking at the formulae I think I can also see why tanks automatically spot units within a certain radius. I really think that a lot of this doesn't need to be hidden in the SFS files and it'd benefit the game a lot if people could tweak to their own satisfaction and the devs concentrated on engine issues.

Have fun

Finn

Nobody has done the TOW mesh writer,or reader it would reqeure quite some work (time), but i think it's not that difficult atleast the base stuff anyhow. All units, have a lot of parts, and linkages of meshes and abstract parts with abstract and real data, for this you would need to write special model editor just for TOW, that my opinion. Scenario would be import some standard mesh (3ds) into editor (done in Max letsay) and edit data in this editor and this editor saves all necessary data as msh files and ini's, I guess.

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by FinnN:

Just post count I guess.

Seems like helmets and bodies are in the same file after all. All the humans seem to inherit the same skeleton file though (unsuprisingly) so if the meshes are moddable adding new troop types should be fairly easy.

I'm stunned by how much detail is in plain text in visibility.ini about how spotting works, unfortunately much of it in Russian. One interesting thing if I understand it correctly is that infantry get a 20% bonus against spotting from (I think) 25m of bushes, needing 50m for 100%. Looking at the formulae I think I can also see why tanks automatically spot units within a certain radius. I really think that a lot of this doesn't need to be hidden in the SFS files and it'd benefit the game a lot if people could tweak to their own satisfaction and the devs concentrated on engine issues.

Have fun

Finn

That would explain quite a bit about tanks spotting infantry so easily.

Actually I think it's possible to reuse some of the stuff we already have.

I discovered that if you for instance choose to put a british crew in a sherman (in the editor that is) all of a sudden that sherman will turn out to be a...british sherman!

This of course makes it possible to introduce some lend-lease equipment into the russian theatre.

It's no problem to make the french Hotchkiss H35 into a german tank either -still...what it doesn't change however is the skin of the vehicle.

regards

/sdp