Resupply

Clockdva

More accurate artillery? I used to be a mortarman, and I can tell you that the arty in this game is incredibely accurate. Especially with no spotting rounds or adjustments. Did I also mention, that it has an incredible response time as well?

More accurate artillery? I used to be a mortarman, and I can tell you that the arty in this game is incredibely accurate. Especially with no spotting rounds or adjustments. Did I also mention, that it has an incredible response time as well?
Agreed. You are soooo right about this. I try to assume they have mortars just offboard in radio contact for it to be so quick. Even though it is still quick. I wonder if the Russians arty is so quick in this game too.... ;)

The only way that response time is possible is if the pieces are already dialed in straight on the target, with the FO and FDC (or whatever they used in WW2) in constant radio contact. TOF for a high-angle, close morter alone is about 25-35 seconds, depending on range and charge. TOF (Time of Flight) is the time from round firing to round impacting. Now I am curious, gonna dig up WW2 charge books and see what the TOFs for back then were. Also consider that for modern mortars 300 meters is danger close (The closest I ever did as FDC was 150 meters in the dark. Now THAT will raise your pucker factor :eek: ).

[ May 14, 2007, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Normal Dude ]

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

I was an MFC in the British Army and I can assure you that the arty is pretty realistic in terms of accuracy. Those long range snipers in real life have a tendency to 'drop short' once in a while. ;)