warts and all, its love

Freeboy

Warts and I love this , I play this type of game, as oposed to other games, as a solitairee. I have thousands, I know no life, of hours in cm series, and it never compared to this for IA performance.

It does shine in ares, BUT TOW is really an amazing game.

What I love?

A. the ia can kick grog ass.

B. the game can be moded and edited, not by me yet.

C. I do liek the graphics... I thought M2TW was good guess I am not spoiled by any other uber graphics!

D. I like the anti tank roll the guns play.

E. did I mention this has unlimited expandibility? is that even a word?

Before anyone accuses me of sellout or fanboyism, this game needs LOTS opf tweeking.

My wish list:

A. Easy editor interface along with ability to ustomise maps.

B.Morters. even if they are off board and on call.

C. German 88's

D. Foxholes

E. Buildings in the game as apposed to being eye candy.

F. **** Knowing the triggers before the battle! at least for your side.

G. other?

Originally posted by Chazman:

Of course the AI can kick grogs arse, there is no LOS restrictions, it's like the whole map is barren terrain!

If you bothered to actualy play the game instead of being a total buttock you would know it HAS line of sight modeled. And actualy doing LOS better than most.

LOS is definetely modelled, as is LOF. I've tested it. Infantry out in the open and infantry in dense trees have much different survival rates = ) [/QB]
I beginning to see *some* logic here. Target a tank with a colored icon that appears to be blocked and go to birds eye. Sure enough you can't see through some trees and what might appear to even be part of a bldg.

Now go to a top down view and follow the orange fire arrow. Almost always it IS clearing through obstacles and goes through some edges of trees.

As I posted before, trees do not block LOS in real life.

Just as I had checked a lot of LOS I found the orange arrow going through a bldg. However I was not hitting him but he me and he was on a slight hill.

Originally posted by HardRock:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> LOS is definetely modelled, as is LOF. I've tested it. Infantry out in the open and infantry in dense trees have much different survival rates = )

I beginning to see *some* logic here. Target a tank with a colored icon that appears to be blocked and go to birds eye. Sure enough you can't see through some trees and what might appear to even be part of a bldg.

Now go to a top down view and follow the orange fire arrow. Almost always it IS clearing through obstacles and goes through some edges of trees.

As I posted before, trees do not block LOS in real life.

Just as I had checked a lot of LOS I found the orange arrow going through a bldg. However I was not hitting him but he me and he was on a slight hill. [/QB]</font>

TOW has far more depth than the whiners give it credit for. Thanks for posting something positive Freeboy. Sure, there are legitimate things to criticize, but the one's who go into emotional diatribes simply have no clue. Its an amazing accomplishment, and I look forward to seeing it develop further as we go along.

For me LOS works like this ( and yes it works) hills and slopes block LOS so you send infantry to check wats on the other side and then you gently send your tanks almost to the top of the hill so as only part of your tanks turret is visible to the enemy. So like real life LOS smile.gif

And at those ocasions when something random happens, say like a russian AT-rifle gunner kills your decorated tank ace, you swear some and then raise a toast to a great tactical war game. smile.gif

I can handle when I lose troops, thats no problem for me. WHat is a problem is that no matter what your crew experience and spotting skill.... you cannot physically see through certain objects.... especially when it comes to tanks spotting infantry.

Originally posted by Freeboy:

one other thing, open hatch commanders drivers with better ability and risk of getting shot vs buttoned up annd luimited visibilty etc... what does the mob think of that?

Ah.....good stuff, yes indeed.

Originally posted by Chazman:

Of course the AI can kick grogs arse, there is no LOS restrictions, it's like the whole map is barren terrain!

I'm starting to wonder if you even played the game, there is LOS/LOF in the game and it has alot of factors that play into it... Sure it's not perfect and yes I have had tanks shoot anywhere from 500m + thru trees. But it is much much much better then many games out on the market atm.

No, you can't shoot through a group of trees. (and hit a specific target.) Not if the trees are thick. Sure one, 2, or 3 trees. An orchard maybe. But no one shoots a deer on the other side of the woods. You can't even see it. Of course, you can shoot into a group of trees to destroy the cover. Then you could see the target.

Name one good realistic wargame of any type where a group of trees does not block Line of Sight and Fire. ANybody? They didn't have infra-red scopes. Even in Viet Nam they had to defoliate because THEY COULDN'T SEE IN THERE!!!

Originally posted by Fetid:

Name one good realistic wargame of any type where a group of trees does not block Line of Sight and Fire. ANybody? They didn't have infra-red scopes. Even in Viet Nam they had to defoliate because THEY COULDN'T SEE IN THERE!!!

Vietnam was covered by very dense jungle - not even close to being the same :rolleyes:

Also most of the maps only have a few trees, they are not acting like the dense woods of CM, they are just a few trees, will provide very limited line of sight blocking.