Improve LOS/LOF and I'll be happy

panzermartin

I like the game but 90% of the time there is no way to tell if your armor is safe behind trees, even behind the Schwarzwald...

untitled.jpg?t=1177518668

My T60 was spotted and destroyed by the PZIVC on the top center of the picture through a dense row of tall pines. Is it possible to fix this? Introduce dense tree areas that block los and are only passable by infantry? Graphics dont tell the truth here. There is indeed some accuracy penalty for shooting through trees but in cases like this there should be no possible way to hit a target.

The only cover it seems for tanks are buildings!

I think the issue is not cover but the relative spotting, where tanks have the same spotting ability as infantry. This is why tanks kill infantry and ATG so easily because they have the same spotting ability. The spotting ability of crews members can increase a lot in just a mission or two with experince.

BFC had 1C change increase the ranges for tank battles, but looks like that they didn't modify the relative spotting ability for these new ranges. It's a catch-22 if you reduce the spotting you also reduce the range of tank combat.

I hope relative spotting works diferently for CM: Shock Force.

Got another LOS issue. I get an annoying problem in the Polish missions that crops up over and over again. German tanks will be in open LOS to Polish ATGs, and the target indicator shows this as well. Yet, Both will refuse to engage one another! If something is stopping them, there needs to be a feeback message indicating so, because visually the LOS is perfectly clear and they are at close range.

Every unit should have a 'size' and 'vision' attribute. Then take the LoS calculator and change it so units with low 'vision' have a harder time to spot units with a low 'size' and vice-versa..

Tanks have low 'vision' but high 'size' and infantry high 'vision' and low 'size'.. Voila, proplem solved.

Allegedly bushes already have an effect on LoS. Take the 'LoS degrade' attribute per object and multiply it by at least 2.

Every object should also have an 'density' attribute. Take the LoF calculator and if a shell hits an object, the 'density' value has a random chance to either stop the shell, prematurely detonate it or change the path of the shell.

This random chance is calculated before a unit decides to shoot and thresholds are put in place to prevent a unit from shooting if his chance to hit due to blocking is too low.