Anyone have some tips for the third polish mission "a desperate defense"?

someone

I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I can get past the initial wave ok usually with a loss of one gun or tank, but the next wave is a different story. They usually beat me with plenty of tanks to spare.

Is there any way to get my infantry to destroy these tanks? I don't think I've ever been able to get my infantry to destroy one in any mission.

I usually use my three artillery attacks on the second wave of tanks but it doesn't seem to help much.

Cheers

Don't go toe to toe with the Germans*. Put your tanks and guns 50m to the left of your trench, at the bottom of that sharp incline. As the German first wave comes down past the farmyard you'll catch em in the flank. Withdraw to behind the farmhouses and wait till the second wave comes past and pick them off as they drive past you.

Artillery is nearly ineffective against tanks. Drop it when ever you get a group of German infantry close together. The first wave will provide the most opportunities.

*As a matter of fact I hardly ever go toe to toe with anyone in any scenario. Why give the enemy an even chance? Milk every last advantage you can, every time.

I kept the AT guns in their sandbag enplacements and pushed my armour up the left road and into the village where they could using flanking shots against the first wave of tanks.

Then I moved them behind the hulks of the enemy tanks in order provide cover against the final wave. At the same time pushing the reinforcements further up the left flank.

Took a couple of goes but it worked. The PzIVC are buggers to take out though. Immobilize and then plink away at the turrets until they bail.

I'm having a difficult time with "A Desperate Defense" also. I've come close once, but haven't been successful yet. I'm playing on the "veteran" level, and it certainly feels that way. Even when I lose, I thoroughly enjoy playing ToW. Kudos again, 1C and Battlefront!

Hi all My first post is this smile.gif

Playing the Polish campaign on reallistic did sound a little suicidal to me but I won the first mission on the second try without saving or reloding. The little secret is the 75mm guns the Poles have. Try to allways have some or at least one of these guns. Place the guns behind slopes or some such and watch as they blow the crapp out of the german armor, and I do mean the panzerIV to. smile.gif

Never take the Bofors AT guns because the 75mm can do the job a lot better, and if you have a decorated gunner on the gun like I had (White Eagle decoration or what-not) it will be a shooting gallery.

In conclusion Bofors 37mm suck all hail the 75mm and thank God that it has AT rounds smile.gif

And this really is a game where one can enjoy loosing as well as winning.

I agree the 75mm is great.

For those who are stuck, just try different tactics, try a more defensive position on 2nd Polish mission, I managed it with only 3 infantry ever making it to the main hill, the rest of my forces stayed near the start zone taking on each wave as it came.

You just have to keep trying new ideas and starting forces to fing the right balance for you.

Also practice helps you gat better.

Great game though.

I agree with you Starlight. In the 2nd Polish mission one has to stay put in the starting point and kill the two wawes of tanks and infantry. Having at least one 75mm field gun helps smile.gif

Only after this do you try to storm the hill with AT guns and since these are AT guns you do not do it with tanks. You do the storming with infantry and tanks + 75mm gun in support just behind the slope that blocks LOS to the main objective Hill.

Wow, I didn't realize my AT guns made such a difference (makes sense though). I changed my two bofors for two 75mm like you said and I hardly had to touch the mouse! I had a gunner with 100 on one and one with 85 on the other and a shooting gallery it definitely was.

So playing on veteran level, I finally was able to hold back the German onslaught. I came into this battle with just 15 points to spare, so I had to get creative with my units.

*** possible spoilers below ***

</font>

• Default assets at my disposal

- Squad (x2) (incl. 1x ATR)
    - 7TP (x2)
    - TKS MG (x2)
    - Bofors wz36 (x2)</font>

With the above units, I was unable to hold back the German advance, never mind mount any form of counterattack (even considering my reinforcements).

So with a mere 15 points to spare, I got rid of the two Bofors, one TKS MG and one 7TP light tank. With the extra points, I exchanged all that for two 75mm AT guns.

</font>

• Updated assets

- Squad (x2) (incl. 1x ATR)
    - 7TP (x1)
    - TKS MG (x1)
    - 75mm FGWz.1897 (x2)</font>

I placed my most skilled and experienced men into the battle, substituting where feasible.

The plan was to see if I could stave off the initial attack from the south without calling for mortar support, long enough for the reinforcements to arrive. I wanted to have all three mortar strikes available for the final German push from the west.

It was critical that I kept the German infantry attacking from the south at bay, as my two AT gun crews would be exposed. To that end, I had the squads in the trenches hold position and placed the TKS MG to the SW behind some brush. The TKS didn't get to fire off a shot before being destroyed, but I still managed to successfully hold against the initial waves from the south.

Once the attack from the south petered out and the push from the west started in earnest, I brought all remaining assets to bear. Luckily I still had both AT guns, and more importantly their qualified crews, available for defense. Once the dust settled, I had managed to pull off a decisive victory.

Results:

</font>

• Polish Casualties:

6 men
    3 tanks</font>

</font>

• German Casualties:

92 men
    14 tanks</font>

In all, a very enjoyable battle!

Note: If anyone would like, I can post a screenshot of my unit setup at the start of this battle.

[ April 27, 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: flintlock ]