My hardcopy of theatre of war

v_Manstein

well im the last one that complains about anything, especially if i waited for a game for about 4 years. but as excited i was when tow was FINALLY released, as disappointed i am after playing several missions.

i started close combat 3 - just to get sure i didnt lose the appetite on games in general - but cc3 is just perfectly balanced, has a logical makeup and in the end its just fun playing.

so i am very sad to have to tell you that tow was already uninstalled after only 3 days. my hardcopy will do its work as dust catcher perfectly i guess.

:'(

I was playing Close Combat Cross of Iron this evening instead of ToW and I didn't even receive my hardcopy yet ;), only got the download so far...

My guess is the game might improve with a patch or two, though it's not the CC 3d that quite a few people were hoping for. Oh well, I'll archive the hardcopy together with Eric Young's Squad Assault: Westfront, another contender to the crown that didn't make it....

My men of Korpsabteilung "F" have to be led into battle (talk about immersive campaign briefings, check CCCoI)!

*clicks on cc3.exe*

Originally posted by v_Manstein:

well im the last one that complains about anything, especially if i waited for a game for about 4 years. but as excited i was when tow was FINALLY released, as disappointed i am after playing several missions.

i started close combat 3 - just to get sure i didnt lose the appetite on games in general - but cc3 is just perfectly balanced, has a logical makeup and in the end its just fun playing.

so i am very sad to have to tell you that tow was already uninstalled after only 3 days. my hardcopy will do its work as dust catcher perfectly i guess.

:'(

I know what you are talking!

This evening I started Close Combat 3 and when I saw those pixel as big as thumbs I ran away for cover!

Then I happily clicked on ToW.exe and magically here I am in XXI century.

;)

Mario

Originally posted by Cornfleek:

I was playing Close Combat Cross of Iron this evening instead of ToW and I didn't even receive my hardcopy yet ;), only got the download so far...

My guess is the game might improve with a patch or two, though it's not the CC 3d that quite a few people were hoping for. Oh well, I'll archive the hardcopy together with Eric Young's Squad Assault: Westfront, another contender to the crown that didn't make it....

My men of Korpsabteilung "F" have to be led into battle (talk about immersive campaign briefings, check CCCoI)!

*clicks on cc3.exe*

top down view is awful. period.

Originally posted by pad152:

It's funny, I've read more postive things here about Close Combat III then on the Matrix forums! smile.gif

smile.gif

Well, I am big fan od Close Combat as well. I played Close Combat 3 to death... still remember sweat at Stalingrad mission when my PZIVF2 played a game mouse and cat with that T-34...

Close Combat is a classic game.

But, why I applaud ToW developers? I applaud them because they made a NEW game.

I don't mind remakes in fact I also applaud that (not on this price but that's another topic). I also think that Panzer General 2 would be great remake.

But people, we also need new game, new designs. That's why I will give some more time to ToW.

There is room for all those games. I would prefer that Close Combat: CoI cost 20-30 $ because I know that developing a game like Theatre of War cost much, much money! We cannot forget that.

See, yes it is developed in Russia and maybe there programmers are happy if they have 1000 euros salary don't know but anyway ANY game with THIS graphics is not easy or cheap to make. Be it anywhere on the planet. That's why I don't get this comparision between CoI and ToW. Then make Matrix make the game like this for you smile.gif

But I doubt that they can. Maybe but it will cost them a lot money to make it. So in fact Battlefront.com have really took premiere position in wargaming now. They are now leading and that is a fact. This is big caliber of a game and if market recognize it in big numbers then Battlefront.com have made it's goal.

That is the potential of ToW. That's why I will forgive some things for now to the ToW. They were brave (developers) and I respect that.

I remember playing a CC game about 7 years ago.

Couldn't stand the eye-sore ugly maps.

Just a few weeks ago though with all the talk about Iron cross. I decided to download CC3.

How on earth do you tolerate that camera that jumps all over the map with the slightest touch of your mouse or arrow keys and how are you even able to recognize anything its all a bunch of dots? Very primitive looking. Looks more like a blue print design or rough draft for a WWII game. Doesn't even look good as a map :D

I was about to ambush a tank with my medium tank: just when I had gotten around the corner and was about to issue an order to fire-which I really should have to of- I was suddenly out in the middle of nowhere and by the time I found my tank which was all setup by me to destroy the German tank-side flank- it had been totally destroyed.

Seems AI needs a lot of attention in this game can't think very well on its own.

Also I found myself running all over the map trying to babysit each of my units as they all would end up helplessly with their butts in a sling in no time. Why no turn based system when you have to go all over the map with that wacky camera. No the mini map doesn't help much either it has even less detail than the battlefield map.

But everyone here seems to think its the ultimate wargame.

Originally posted by Vergeltung:

top down view is awful. period.

That's an interesting comment. You certainly must realize that planning for military operations, sea, air and land has been done on 2D maps for as long as, well, as long as folks have been planning military operations.

Did you ever see the John Wayne version of "The Alamo?" Remember when Lawrence Harvey grabs a stick and draws up a battle plan in the dirt? While the scene doesn't provide any great hint of military innovation, it does convey clearly to the men under his character's command, and to movie-goers, precisely what he wants done.

I think that you can make an argument that there ought to be some other view, perhaps like that in CMx, where players can change views from a 2D overhead map to 3D to view the fighting. But the fact remains, planning that's not done on an overhead map is inherently "unrealistic" because that's not the way it's done in real life.

PoE

Originally posted by pad152:

It's funny, I've read more postive things here about Close Combat III then on the Matrix forums! smile.gif

Dam man! That's always the way it is you go to one specific game site and they are all complaining saying how this game needs this and that and that it sucks, then they will compare it to another, which is SO much better and the way the game at that forum should be.

Funny thing is you go to that great games site only to find out why everyone thinks its so bad.