extremely frustrated at a compaign mission

RadishRabbit

there's NO WAY to end the battle, that's RIDICULOUS. both the russians and I had a very bloody battle. at the end, i have 4 tank crews left, and the russians had 6 men in the trench. I'm soooo close, to i let my crew gathered ammo around the battlefield and launched a final assault (i'd rather choose to accept a draw or a defeat at this point but there's NO WAY to do that WTF?) so okay, i've got my rifles and grenades and everything, and heading towards the russian trench. and guess what, the game crashed!!! seriously, WTF? i spent two hours to get this far, and that's what happens?

please please, for the patch, add a way to end the stupid battles

I also had crashs in two missions yet (Citadel and Villers Bocage) which also corrupt the savegames. The more often you try to reload the savegame, the earlier it jumps back to the desktop. What a stupid bug.

Afterwards it doesn`t even show the loading bar and crashes directly back to the desktop.

You only can restart this complete mission.

From every game I've played infantry casualties were near 100% and the side having still tanks won, usually the AI as it has twice the numbers :eek:

Then the RPG aspect falls really flat, as there's no fancy burying feature... :D

There's maybe a chance to have survivors by just running them away and hide behind elevations, but that's not very fun !

I just think you have to be more careful with infantry, or everything for that matter. I am not sure why everyone says they are the win button in these games, well deployed ATGs/sneaky infantry with anti-tank equip equally put the hurt on them provided it isn't outdated equipment.

Last mission I played I think I only lost about 14-15 Infantry out of more than 100 personnel, you just need to make sure they move from cover to cover, out of line of sight and then move them into firing positions to cover the rest coming up from behind (I found ordering holding fire on the move was a good idea also unless assaulting a position, seemed to keep them under stealth).

If you move them across the open or have them start firing out of cover they really are going to drop like flies.

Originally posted by MyCoCo:

I just think you have to be more careful with infantry, or everything for that matter. I am not sure why everyone says they are the win button in these games, well deployed ATGs/sneaky infantry with anti-tank equip equally put the hurt on them provided it isn't outdated equipment.

Last mission I played I think I only lost about 14-15 Infantry out of more than 100 personnel, you just need to make sure they move from cover to cover, out of line of sight and then move them into firing positions to cover the rest coming up from behind (I found ordering holding fire on the move was a good idea also unless assaulting a position, seemed to keep them under stealth).

If you move them across the open or have them start firing out of cover they really are going to drop like flies.

These are some good observations.

You really need to be patient with your infantry, particularly when on the attack and there is enemy armor around. This is not unreasonable. However the infantry can be very dangerous when the armour is right on top of them...meaning within range of whatever AT weapons they might have, throwing or otherwise.

"Combined Arms" really means alot in this game. It is very important to have infantry supporting tanks and vice versa when the enemy has the same. Particularly on defense.

Originally posted by gunnersman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MyCoCo:

These are some good observations.

You really need to be patient with your infantry, particularly when on the attack and there is enemy armor around. This is not unreasonable. However the infantry can be very dangerous when the armour is right on top of them...meaning within range of whatever AT weapons they might have, throwing or otherwise.

"Combined Arms" really means alot in this game. It is very important to have infantry supporting tanks and vice versa when the enemy has the same. Particularly on defense. </font>

Yeah my worst mission saw me lose 35 inf out of my force of near 100. Otherwise I have kept the causalities below 20 and usually just above ten guys. The Russian missions though can be problematic, when the T-34s come in I seem to lose a few tanks before I have taken them all out.

i was very careful with my infantry, up until all my panzer IIs are dead and enemy still having 3 T60s, 22 vs. 79 infantry death

T60's armor's impossible to penetrate with panzer II's 20mm gun, and my pak 35/36 gun also seemed to be useless against T60's 35mm frontal armor. so i had to used my infantry, killed the remaining enemy 45mm AT guns first and then picked up some russian anti-tank grenades and killed off the three T60s of cuz with a lot of causalities. I just think this mission is very unbalanced, with THAT many T60s and their crazy frontal armor.

Originally posted by MyCoCo:

Huh I do want to do that, but how do you do it ?

"Be careful"..Sure, I tell the guys to go prone and hold fire ! They just keep NOT obeying any order and run like headless chicken !!

"Move from cover to cover"...Yes, but there's NO damn cover ! Even trenches are a joke : last mission I fired, all of the Gerries entrenched defenders were bagged by (my) M24 platoon from 500m away in 3 min or so...As usual defending ATGs crews were killed in a few seconds, I'm not even sure they had time to fire. Anyway they were spotted from sec 1 !

Are you sure we play the same game ??

Huh I do want to do that, but how do you do it ?

"Be careful"..Sure, I tell the guys to go prone and hold fire ! They just keep NOT obeying any order and run like headless chicken !!

"Move from cover to cover"...Yes, but there's NO damn cover ! Even trenches are a joke : last mission I fired, all of the Gerries entrenched defenders were bagged by (my) M24 platoon from 500m away in 3 min or so...As usual defending ATGs crews were killed in a few seconds, I'm not even sure they had time to fire. Anyway they were spotted from sec 1 !

Are you sure we play the same game ??

I am pretty sure we are tongue.gif .

I have not once had any of my units do something I did not want them to, and if they have, it has been because I have forgotten to give them the order to hold position/hold fire (I do agree that infantry should be able to be ordered to keep their heads down though both in trenches and in the field.).

As far as cover goes, I am not having trouble finding it, I think (though I can't be sure) bushes do block line of sight to some extent.

I have had tanks not being able to fire at tracks or hulls due to those areas being behind scrub, so that only the turret is visible. Infantry also seems to be concealed by bushes, even if they are firing they seem to take less casualties than being out in the open.

It also really pays to move stuff about under complete LOS blockage, rather than taking the quick route from spot to spot. If units are engaged in a heavy firefight you cannot expect to move some allies up straight past them heading into the fire and expect their buddies supporting fire to keep them out of harms way.

There are some flaws in the game to be sure, some things need to be added, the ability to ambush (unless doing so anti-tank guns ARE going to get knocked out unless engaging at long distances or where it makes it hard to score a hit with shell trajectory. I cannot imagine it being hard to hit an atg with a HE shell first or second time if the gunner is at all decent at ranges under 300 or 400 metres.) the ability to hold orientation and so on and so forth, lots more of which is requested in the patch threads.

In any case, you either like this game or you don't, which is fair enough. I am not seeing a lot of the gripes people are having though.

(Bloody editing, only spot my spelling mistakes after I have posted. :D )

[ April 22, 2007, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: MyCoCo ]