I don't get it

Hensworth

I'm trying to play through the training scenarios now and I must admit I don't understand how I'm supposed to be playing this game.

My conundrum may be best explained using the defensive tactics training scenario.

You get one small squad of infantry with 2 AT rifles, 2 45mm AT guns and a trench.

The setup zone is small, just the area around the trench. It appears to be as flat as a board and there is no cover. So, going on what the briefing tells me I put an AT rifle on each flank, the officer in the middle and leave the 45mms where they are since there seems no point in moving them. No specific orders are given.

The German tanks knock the AT guns out in seconds, advance on the trench and eventually mow down all my infantry.

Second try. Same setup, but now I order all units to hold fire and hunker down in the trench so hopefully they won't be spotted right from the off.

The German tanks knock the AT guns out in seconds, advance on the trench and eventually mow down all my infantry. In spite of orders to crouch or even go prone, my infantry are regularly putting their heads above the parapet. They also appear to be aiming their weapons but I can't really tell if they're firing.

Can anyone tell me how you're supposed to change the outcome ?

Move your AT's into right, there's bit of tree and such. After few tries usually tanks are dead and you lost one AT.

Then there's another defence, where you cant anymore place AT's before that fight. Now thats much harder case. You are basicly in a desert fight. Feels like an old puzzle mystery game.

I guess Codemasters dropped it for a reason. I'm having similar issues. I played through the training missions and attempted to knock out the AT gun crew with the sniper team. The crew had an uncanny ability to track the snipers crawling through cover. I'm not giving up yet. John

Well I've just tried a couple of more times. It seems you have to depend on knocking the tank guns out rapidly so you can get the upper hand with your ATGs. If you can quickly put the guns on two PzIIIs out of commission then the tide appears to turn. You have to watch closely and switch targets as soon as you can see the main gun is damaged. I don't know if the positioning near the trees even has anything to do with it.

All a little too ridiculous for my liking. I don't want to be reloading games until the freak of nature that I need occurs so I can get on with the game. This one is going back in the box.

Originally posted by Moon:

LOL, John, if you knew how much crap we had to tweak back from, uh, the previously involved parties...

Martin

Ouch, that tells how worse it could have been !! redface.gif

But even with all you have added there's still much missing.

I think the basic engine just wasn't done to simulate any real "battlefield", it was only decorum. I had a look in the editor, and realized that not only there was no map editing, but actually no real map at all - it's flat terrain (w/elevations though), and decorative obstacle, none of which are factored in game terms.

There's a huge gap with that poor terrain modelling and a very detailed units and weapons - and sure that's your touch !

Correct me if I'm wrong...