Cooperative Play?

Gface

I know i saw this topic a while back, but I'm not sure if the question was ever answered...Can two people play cooperatively vs. AI/?...

BTW, 1st time poster (just registered on forums) and I very excited about the game!!!!!

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Hi Gface, welcome.

No sorry, you can play co-op but not versus the AI.

That cools my excitement over this feature quite a bit.

No coop vs ai? You cant play with your friend against ai at all? wow why? That was one of the biggest features me and my friend was waiting for. So now we have to always find other people to even have a chance to team up against somoene.... and that wont always be easy.

I dont understand why this is not allowed... basically all rts games allow you to face ai in multiplayer why not TOW?

Actually....During some MP testing today, we discovered that in at least one of the MP battles, there are some AI controlled units. In this battle they are positioned in a town in the middle of the map. The human players are supposed to defeat both the AI and any other humans.

Also, in the MP battles, you can have two players on the same TEAM, so they would be cooperatively playing against members of any other team.

Therefore, it appears that by using the editor, you could possibly make up a battle where two HUMAN players could be tasked to co-operatively fight an AI opponent online. I will have to check to see if mission victory in a MP battle is dependent on defeating a HUMAN player though.

I hasten to add that I haven't spent a lot of time trying to build a mission like this, so this is conjecture somewhat. You might have to have at least one human on the enemy 'side' no matter what. I will try and figure that out for you all.

Madmatt

[ April 10, 2007, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Oh Thanks So Much Madmatt. It is nice to see that you are trying to implement this feature. It is always fun to play with friends against a nameless AI. Makes the beers @ the pub all that much better when you can celebrate together smile.gif

I bet the AI makes a decent defensive opponent?

For me the coop play against the AI would be a big positive point too!! Even if it is only implemented through the mission editor and we must have some custom made missions before we can actually play it - as long as it is possible there will be coop missions vs. the AI pop up en masse. I can not count the hours of fun I had with good friends beating the AI in coop-mode in other games.

1C and Battlefront, please make it possible to set up this kind of games in the mission editor. It would obviously make a lot of people here happy.

Coop against the AI is a wonderfull feature.

I love to play "Faces of war" coop with some friends against the AI.

"Brothers at arms (EIB)" has a nice coop mode too.

Its fun to die together against the stupid AI ;)

(But its frustrating to get punished by humans again and again ...

play Supreme Commander, after a few matches u know what i mean :D )

Wow... I wish I could take back my preorder...

This was one of the biggest reason we got our whole group to want to buy it. I'm glad only two of us preordered though.

Remind me smack my friend for being "sure" there was coop.

... though a less confusing list of features would be nice... even though figuring out if a game does or doesn't have co-op is always a hard thing.

So am I going have to beg modders to possibly get me some co-op?

Originally posted by Wolfiefang:

Wow... I wish I could take back my preorder...

This was one of the biggest reason we got our whole group to want to buy it. I'm glad only two of us preordered though.

Remind me smack my friend for being "sure" there was coop.

... though a less confusing list of features would be nice... even though figuring out if a game does or doesn't have co-op is always a hard thing.

So am I going have to beg modders to possibly get me some co-op?

You should still buy the product and support the platform. I'm sure if COOP against the AI is possible Madmatt will get it up and running. If not on immdiate release than maybe in a patch. It seems doable from the post. If you don't buy TOW how do you expect them to get the resources to spend programming time on features you want. Lets face it MP playing is becoming much more popular but it is still not mainstream in the wargaming world. It will be maybe in 3-5 years but not quite yet smile.gif

My two cents.......

Originally posted by RCMP:

You should still buy the product and support the platform. I'm sure if COOP against the AI is possible Madmatt will get it up and running. If not on immdiate release than maybe in a patch. It seems doable from the post. If you don't buy TOW how do you expect them to get the resources to spend programming time on features you want. Lets face it MP playing is becoming much more popular but it is still not mainstream in the wargaming world. It will be maybe in 3-5 years but not quite yet smile.gif

My two cents.......

They could get our money by putting in their features list "COOP". Why should I risk my money on a "maybe". It's not their fault, but game companies break tons of "promises".

And the fact that mp is still not mainstream for wargames should tell them to develop COOP. COOP games require only one side of the playing field to be filled to play. With 4 people you in essence get a 4v4 game. You get teamplay a lot easier through COOP where as in MP games tend to stick too much to 1v1.

Not to mention a COOP campaign is almost silly to skip. Though even mainstream high budget games seem to sip this, so i'm not suprised. There's just something about a group of people working together against AI through several small battles to win a longer larger war.

Heck, take WoW. The mp is popular, but most enjoy the raids, and how after many succeful raids, you can find your group well prepared for the next step to win the war. WoW can make huge profit because there can be no end to this "war".

alright my.. what 50 cents? long rant...

I'm as big a fan of coop as anyone. Nothing like teaming up with a friend (or stranger!) or group of people to dominate the AI.

I dare say I prefer coop to playing 2v2 vs humans. At least historically speaking, at least 1 of the humans will be a juvenile idiot.