A question on eLicense

iplaygames2

Can someone more "in the know" please help me understand this? I've been reading all the topics around trying to figure out exactly how it works.

From what I can gather, each copy of ToW will be able to be installed on 2 different computers. Does an installation require internet activation or something? How will the elicense know which copy has been installed X number of times? Will preorders have access to an additional CDkey (or whatever they need to install) due to the download + the DVD versions?

If I want to install it on my 2 desktops and a laptop, can I do that, as long as only 1 computer is playing the game at a time?

Don't get me wrong; anything has to be better than the old copy protection crap so many games have nowadays. I am just trying to figure out exactly how the elicense stuff will work.

eLicense is an online activation system, yes. You download the game, you install it, then you run it. For the first time you run it, before the game actually launches, a license window comes up and asks you to enter your key. It's easiest if you have an online connection, because then all you need to do is enter the key, click the "License" button, and that's it. You only need to do this once, and not each time you run it of course.

You can also do it without an online connection, but it's more complicated. The details are explained in the FAQ at:

http://www.battlefront.com/elicense_faq.html

Each license which you buy allows you to have two activations at the same time. You can copy and install the game as often as you want, but only two activations per key are allowed at any one time.

eLicense is also unique in that it allows a "mobile" license. What this means is that e.g. if you buy a new computer, you can use your license on that as well. You unlicense the game on the old computer (to free up the activation again), and then simply re-license it on the new computer. That way, your license is never "used up" like in some other DRM (digital rights management) systems, and you also have no limits as to often you can install the game and so forth. In theory, you could even sell your copy of the game to someone else and as long as you unlicense all your activations, that person would be able to use the game as if new. Very powerful, no hassle, no cd-in-drive stuff, no hardware mangling stuff...

People who pre-ordered get only one key, and hence only the normal 2 activations. The "download&mail" option does not mean that you buy two games, it means that you buy the game plus a backup CD and printed manual, but you do not get an extra license key.

More clear?

Martin

PS. To make one thing more clear: eLicense is not a copy protection system. You can copy it as much as you want. E.g. if you downloaded the game, due to the size of it, I would strongly suggest to make a backup CD anyway so you don't have to re-download it. This means that people/sites who pretend to be making backup copies only for personal use (one of the most frequent complaint about copy protection schemes) have nothing to complain about.

Secondly, in theory if you and your friend bought the game, you only need to download once. You can install the exact same version on your computer and your friends. The only thing you need to do is to use a different key to license it.

eLicense "protects" the game from the moment that you want to run it. So let's say you travel a lot - you could install a copy at home, one in the office, and one at a remote office. Two of those can be active all the time, but the third one cannot. Still, you don't have to uninstall all the time you change location. You can keep the games installed at all three computers and only have to unlicense those that you do not need, freeing up the license to be used at the other location. If you have an online connection, this only take a few seconds.

eLicense "remembers" your computer by various things, and unless you make MAJOR changes to your computer, you will not have to relicense ever again.

And before that question comes up - if you forget to unlicense, email elicense@battlefront.com and we'll help out usually within a few hours, to e.g. retrieve lost license keys, or reactivate keys if e.g. someone had a crash and so forth.

Martin

"Secondly, in theory if you and your friend bought the game, you only need to download once. You can install the exact same version on your computer and your friends. The only thing you need to do is to use a different key to license it."

Simply a clarification here. If this violates the rules, just say so. Would it be possible/permissible for two people to share a single activation, since it allows two per purchse?

That is, if one person bought the game and only wishes to use it on one computer, coule he/she allow a friend to install and activate the game on their own machine (obvoiuly just once)?

That's a grey area. A permanent transfer is against the End User License, as would be a "sale" (if your friend gives you money for it). But nothing prevents you from "temporarily" sharing the software. As you can imagine, that's a broad term and I'm not a lawyer.

This is another feature which made us use eLicense - arguments that you paid for the software and want to use it as you damn' please are defused. You can. Within the restrictions of the EULA.

Martin

Just a simple clarification. I wish you guys the best success and I hope you'll be on the market for the next hundred years but, god forbid, what would happen if you went belly up? I've seen a lot of excellent companies (Microprose, SSI, Talonsoft and so on) disappear. If you were forced out of business what would happen to my game? Storm Eagle Studios, who has a similar activation system (and whom I bought Distant Guns from) promises an official "crack" (sorry for the term) in case of retirement from business. Do you promise the same?

Filippo

Yes, Valgua, we promise the same. If, for some reason, Battlefront would go out of business, we would release unprotected versions of all the games.

AnotherBrit, yes, of course. Provided that before doing your upgrade, you UN-license the game first to preserve your activation. It only takes a second - click on unlicense link, click on unlicense button (it remembers your license key), done. Same thing for re-licensing. Again, it remembers your key, so you only have to click the "license" button. Done.

Martin

PS. You know, this really isn't brain science, nor is it so unusual. Like you say, most software nowadays comes with license keys, and more and more rely on online activation. Of course if you want to try out how it all works first hand, buy one of our current games via download :D

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Of course if you want to try out how it all works first hand, buy one of our current games via download :D

Martin

I've already done that. In fact I've pre-ordered ToW so I trust you. I wanted a simple reassurance: I thank you for that.

Filippo

how does the system keep track of how many copies of the game have been installed on different systems ?

eg. I have the game installed on my laptop and desktop. Then I install on a third computer. How do you know the other two installations with keys are in existance ?

Online database, basically.

I can't see how anyone would be annoyed at this. It seems to me the best of both worlds...some protection for the hard working devs, and flexibility for the people paying hard earned cash to get it.

Originally posted by Dryfear:

Online database, basically.

I can't see how anyone would be annoyed at this. It seems to me the best of both worlds...some protection for the hard working devs, and flexibility for the people paying hard earned cash to get it.

I agree. It's 100% better than the copy protection crap we, as gamers, have had to put up with for the past few years.

Only drawback I see is having to connect to the internet to activate a copy. This won't be like HL2, I hope, where you had to "log on" every time you wanted to play the game..

No, you only have to do this once, when you install, and never again as long as you do not do any major system changes. You also don't have to have an internet connection, by the way. There is an off-line licensing procedure if you prefer that, but it's not as slick as clicking one button and requires several steps to complete.

Martin