Question about Mortars and Tripod MG (with pictures).

Cid250

Theatre of War had a long develoment, and it had several names earlier. When it was called "Wartime Command", i was impresed by the screenshots of the german 50mm mortars and the tripod MG42. The russian mortars were also modeled and the pictures show all the animations completed from the undeployed status to firing. The models and the animations looked impresive, ¿where are all those models now?. There is a lot of hours of work to be ignored. ¿Can we dream whith an expansion of Theatre of War that includes those fantastical weapons latter?.

48200_full.jpg

48220_full.jpg

Original Link of the pictures if you can't see them just avobe:

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/wartime_command/screenshots.html?page=4

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/wartime_command/screenshots.html?page=5

The pictures of this Russian Mortar were published when the game was called "WWII RTS":

WWII-RTS_009.jpg

4g797cz.jpg

4d538f9.jpg

Those pics are wonderfull... Theatre of War can get a very sucessfull second expanssion if they include those support weapons on map.

Tripod MGs are still in, but on-map mortars have been removed (and are now only available as off-map mortar support) because the amount of animations, ballistics and in general code support was too much to realize it for the initial release. But, like you said - a lot of work has been done (not only with mortars but also in other areas of the game) so if the game does well, chances are high that we'll be seeing a lot of sweet additions smile.gif

Martin

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

Wow, a bit of a walk down memory lane. I remember those screenies, like 3+ years ago. Another one of my favs that was taken out is this one of a russian river boat.

How about the original box art.

ww2r_823_box.jpg

Yes Meat, it always amazes me when a development project is in the early stages and a game is going off in every direction possible. Then weeks till final release, The game is scaled down in terms of what's realisticly possible in a certain time frame/budget, what was implemented and what didn't make the final cut for whatever reason. I love thoses old screenies.

tongue.gif

Originally posted by Moon:

Tripod MGs are still in, but on-map mortars have been removed (and are now only available as off-map mortar support) because the amount of animations, ballistics and in general code support was too much to realize it for the initial release. But, like you said - a lot of work has been done (not only with mortars but also in other areas of the game) so if the game does well, chances are high that we'll be seeing a lot of sweet additions smile.gif

Martin

When you do say additions, would that be expansions or another release TOW2 for example?

Even if it's not updated up to todays eye candy, graphics in a wargame to me are just icing on the cake. As long as a tank looks like a tank, and troops look like troops, I'm good with it. I'm more after the realistic angles and penetration values, etc.

From the screenies I've seen this game looks just fine with the graphics engine.

So... somebody knows if those weapons (mortars) can be included in a future release?. It cann't be true WWII warfare without 50mm, 60mm, or 82mm tubes. atleast light mortars are important for any WWII game.

Doesn't matter if they can not add mortars until an Add-on / Expansion of the game... but will be good to know if they have plans about this feature at long term.

Originally posted by Cid250:

So... somebody knows if those weapons (mortars) can be included in a future release?. It cann't be true WWII warfare without 50mm, 60mm, or 82mm tubes. atleast light mortars are important for any WWII game.

Doesn't matter if they can not add mortars until an Add-on / Expansion of the game... but will be good to know if they have plans about this feature at long term.

They'll be in the game, you just can't see the actual units. But they'll be shooting at the enemy, and that's all I need! Although it would be cool to see them in action . . . I certainly wouldn't complain if they did add that feature!