Buildings and...

Scipio

Has something changed on the 'Infantry can't enter buildings' questions? I may have missed some news...

Another point is - I have seen a pillbox on at least one of the screenshots. If infantry can't enter buildings, can they enter pillboxes/bunkers? Or are fortifications just eyecandy?

hey scipio,

I believe they can enter pill boxes as i recall a thread way back that said something along the lines of "why not make all buildings a kind of pillbox with lower defense values so we can enter buildings"

Im not 100% on this but a search may bring up the thread.

I may be way off on this one but, i played my first ever ladder games for CM against a chap called Scipio. Would you be that same "pete" ? I think i used the name reef back in those days.

Steve..

Hi, pete,

Nice to see you still around. If ToW MP turns out to be ok, hope you will chalk me down for a game. I seem to remember our games being close run things smile.gif

Infact, i wonder if anyone is planning a ladder or leugue for ToW, now that would be interesting.

All the best, Steve..

multiplayer is at the moment crap. I don't know what 1C had in mind when doing it?

Strange alliances German + Russia vs German, British vs British etc. every constellation is possible. Forces a bad joke and in the middle f the map neutral units shooting on everybody argh ... they have to redo it.

Hey,

Thanks for that info artie, will favourite the page smile.gif

Markus you cant really of believed that BFC would have left MP in such a poor state can you ? I for one while loving single player also like to dable in MP and put my average skills to the test smile.gif

Steve..

dont worry guys. Battlefront arent stupid.

They know that if multiplay and new scenario creation are not implemented properly then this game will have a shelf life of 6 months top.

any game that has no room for extension means low financial return for the publisher.

We certainly appreciate your overall confidence in us, but I don't want you to have unrealistic expectations with regards to multiplay. Right now, we are focused on stabilty with regards to multiplay but core changes to the multiplayer gameplay are simply not possible at this time.

That means that multiplay in ToW is by and large, still ahistoric, non-mission based, or what you might think of as Deathmatch Kill-Them-All type play.

While I am sure there are those of you that will be disapointed to hear that, it should be offset some with the fact that ToW is designed to support up to 8 players in multiplayer and those types of fragathons are still a helluva lot of fun and can be very challenging.

Our hope is to be able to at some point roll out mission based multiplay, still with up to 8 players, but that won't be in the initial release.

Madmatt

To answer the other questions here:

Yes, pillboxes can be entered and exited.

No, full building occupation will not be in the initial build but we are looking at *patching it in* at some point.

And lastly, if pillboxes can be occupied, why cant they do that will all buildings? Probably because pillboxes have static weapons and the game handles infantry inside as *crewing* a specific weapon. Meaning they aren't using their small arms, grenades, panzerfausts etc... while inside.

That approach obviously wouldn't work for a regular building because it has no set weapon mount, so if infantry were inside, they wouldnt be allowed to fire outside.

There is also the fact that buildings are multistoried and pillboxes aren't and other specific placement issues. Rest assured, we do want to at some point allow infantry into buildings in a workable, playable way, but its not going to be with the initial release.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Flanker15:

On the topic of objectives, how are they used in single player? Do you only have to destroy/rout the enemy or are there proper objectives?

Depends on the battle. Sometimes you have to drive off an enemy assualt or counter-attack, sometimes its based on securing a specific area or some other defined objective.

Usually within a given scenario, there are several objectives which are assinged while you are playing, for example your primary objective might have to take position of a small village. Once you have done that, you might be tasked to then prepare for a concentrated counter-attack, and then maybe get reinforced and go on the offensive for yourself.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

We certainly appreciate your overall confidence in us, but I don't want you to have unrealistic expectations with regards to multiplay. Right now, we are focused on stabilty with regards to multiplay but core changes to the multiplayer gameplay are simply not possible at this time.

That means that multiplay in ToW is by and large, still ahistoric, non-mission based, or what you might think of as Deathmatch Kill-Them-All type play.

While I am sure there are those of you that will be disapointed to hear that, it should be offset some with the fact that ToW is designed to support up to 8 players in multiplayer and those types of fragathons are still a helluva lot of fun and can be very challenging.

Our hope is to be able to at some point roll out mission based multiplay, still with up to 8 players, but that won't be in the initial release.

Madmatt

:( I suppose from what you say it may start moving in the right direction but in later releases. Are you saying Patches, Expansions or TOW2?

The only positive at the moment is that me and my online buddies would impose objectives, to spice up the MP game. If certain maps have a village will we make that session 'Capture the village'. The important thing at this stage is that the core engine works well and the Netcode is stable.

[ February 14, 2007, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: theBrit ]

To answer the other questions here:

Yes, pillboxes can be entered and exited.

No, full building occupation will not be in the initial build but we are looking at *patching it in* at some point.

And lastly, if pillboxes can be occupied, why cant they do that will all buildings? Probably because pillboxes have static weapons and the game handles infantry inside as *crewing* a specific weapon. Meaning they aren't using their small arms, grenades, panzerfausts etc... while inside.

That approach obviously wouldn't work for a regular building because it has no set weapon mount, so if infantry were inside, they wouldnt be allowed to fire outside.

There is also the fact that buildings are multistoried and pillboxes aren't and other specific placement issues. Rest assured, we do want to at some point allow infantry into buildings in a workable, playable way, but its not going to be with the initial release.

Madmatt

Just thinkin out loud here, since infantry in buildings must fire from windows or loopholes or rubble, could those elements be treated as "bunkers" that individual soldiers would plug into on entering a stucture? Could the position dynamically use the soldier's weapon values and animations?

Could a team that is assaulted from inside the structure by an enemy unit "unplug" from the windows and defend inside against the intrusion?

• 2 months later...

.... Rest assured, we do want to at some point allow infantry into buildings in a workable, playable way, but its not going to be with the initial release.

Madmatt

Guess I'll fiddle around with the demo and wait for this to happen before plunking down my money.

Edit - Not trying to restart the debate on what is obvioulsy a touchy subject. Just providing feedback to the developer and publisher on why they aren't getting my money at this time.

[ April 21, 2007, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Elmo ]