How is infantry represented graphically and otherwise

MG TOW

I've sifted thru threads and watched a dozen u tube movies trying to peg how infantry is modelled.

Are the squads represented in an abstract manner? How many men represent the squad. I saw several running around a winter trench, not sure if this was a single squad or not. Although tank crew seems to be represented as 4 individuals. Noticed guns are crewed by 2 soldiers. Not sure if that means the squadies are abstractly played as well.

Would really be interested on knowing more about infantry in this game.

thanks

In the russian version there are no squads as we know them from CM. Each soldier is represented on its own. The whole "squad" (consisting of about 10 men) can be selected by double clicking on it's commander. Guns are manned by 2 and more soldiers, depending on the gun, but can be partially operated by one man only. Same with tanks, where even one man can operate it by switching positions in it.

Originally posted by Markus86:

no, infantry is not abstracted. what you see is what you get.

Thats great actually IMO. I know positioning squadies in other games was an irritant. Was wondering if its much of a factor here, you know the old squad LMG not in position factor. Or did you mean you have a choice to actually move the single individual soldier or by squad by clicking the leader.

thanks for the replies,

[ January 01, 2007, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: gundolf ]

If you want this soldier there, you select it and move it where you want. You click on commander only if you want to issue commands to whole squad. I rarely micro-managed soldiers because big guns need your attention much more urgently usually (micromanagement is possible because you can pause game any time though).

If you want this soldier there, you select it and move it where you want. You click on commander only if you want to issue commands to whole squad.
In one of the threads of this forum, I read that if the squad commander dies, the possibility to select the squad as a whole with a single click is no more available, and only each soldier is selectable.

I don't know how difficult could be in terms of programming, but it should be desirable to have leadership transfer to the lower grade soldiers when the officer dies, i.e. from the liutenant to the sergeant to the corporal... Obviously, each single soldier should have an attribute referring to his grade.

Originally posted by Nicdain:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> If you want this soldier there, you select it and move it where you want. You click on commander only if you want to issue commands to whole squad.

In one of the threads of this forum, I read that if the squad commander dies, the possibility to select the squad as a whole with a single click is no more available, and only each soldier is selectable.

I don't know how difficult could be in terms of programming, but it should be desirable to have leadership transfer to the lower grade soldiers when the officer dies, i.e. from the liutenant to the sergeant to the corporal... Obviously, each single soldier should have an attribute referring to his grade. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

but it should be desirable to have leadership transfer to the lower grade soldiers when the officer dies, i.e. from the liutenant to the sergeant to the corporal...

Thats one point, there schould always be a leader.

But having to double click only the commander to select the whole squad, has nothing to do with realism or simulation. It is just an anoying UI issue. The option schould work on any sqaud member instead.

I have access to the russian version now, too. So I can play it from time to time.

But as I can't read cyrillic I have no idea what to do :D

I don't really enjoy it, playing it is a little bit strange. and infantry seems to be senseless at the moment. I played the first allied missions with paratroopers, and I'm nearly totally helpless against tanks. I have airstrikes, but they never took out a tank. 2 Bazooka gunners, with the same result.

Hi, I'm a Brit. Question for game team. I've looked at the screenshots for the brit infantry. The steel helmet looks out of scale/ unrealistic - too small and sits too high on the head. Was a CMBO/CMAK problem as well I thought.Also Brit infantry in Europe often used to use hessian strips/foliage on a net covering to break up the helmet outline. Any plans to address this? Also the infantry faces look like old men, not the 19 year olds they actually were at the time!

Vehicles look great though.

Cheers