AAR's and Unit Gallery added to the Theatre of War website

Madmatt

Originally posted by whaco:

I had a read through of all 4 AAR's and was enjoying them until I made it to the last AAR involving the Russians and Germans. It was enough to make me nauseous. Why bother showing an AAR like that involving numerous tanks at a stones throw away from each other in a C&C type environment. Great graphics for the young un's out there to get exited about, but I'm sure an infantry type battle for the grog CM crowd would have been nice with 1 or 2 tanks thrown in for good measure. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Learn the facts about the battle before complaining. At the battle of Prokhorovka the tanks WERE a stonesthrow away from each other. The Russian Tanks charged into the German tank formations to try to get flank shots on the Tigers...since they couldn't kill them with frontal shots. The battle was so chaotic that in some cases Tanks on both sides were killed by friendly fire. There were even a few cases were Russian tanks that were on fire but still mobile intentionally tried to ram German tanks.

The Russians knew that to stay at range against the Germans would be suicide so they used their superior speed and manueverability to close to what can only be described as insanely close ranges. The whole goal was to stop the German advance in any way possible. Which they did...even though they took massive losses. One of the better sources for the battle is Martin Caiden's "The Tigers are Burning"...though you do have to wade through alot of Soviet propaganda.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to distingish between a historic tank battle and AAR's geared toward close quarter tank battle eye candy. No where do I mention that historic tank battle of Prokhorovka did not happen at close quarters. Probably a few other close quarter tank battles that come to mind as well. That is not the point. It would be nice again to show some tank AAR's at long ranges. Be nicer yet to have a large inf battle AAR. Thank you though for the update Darryl60 and I'll seriously consider your strong recommendation for checking my facts first and foremost. :D