Compared to "Faces of War"......?

OGSF

I have just had a go at the "Face of War" demo. I found it quite clumsy in some ways, trying to use the arrow keys to scroll around while keeping up with a constantly moving battle, moving the mouse, figuring out what was going on and trying to control the troops.

How does the UI in ToW compare to FoW, and CM:AK? I know a new UI takes some getting used to. A tutorial scenario would probably be a big help with both the demo and the final game.

I noticed in FoW that the player could nominate a sqade leader ("K" key) and the other (five?) guys would follow him around. Is there a similar system in ToW?

I found it somewhat frustrating trying to scroll around and figure out what was going on in the FoW demo. From the latest ToW video, it looks like ToW gives a much better "birds-eye view" of the battle field than FoW, which is essential.

I guess ultimately I am looking for some reassurance that ToW is much more along the lines of a tactical wargame like CM, than a confusing RTS click-fest with little opportunity for proper WWII squad tactics (FoW felt like a kids soccer game sometimes - "bunch ball").

I hadn't been too concerned, until I had a go at the "Faces of War" demo this evening and noticed it was made by 1C as well.

So, what can we expect - a realistically modeled WWII tactical wargame or a very pretty "C&C" without the jewel mines and factories?

FoW is a completely different game. It is a sequel to Soldiers: Heroes of World War II. It is an action game with a lot of arcade elements.

Yes, we produced this game, but so what? We also produced Pirates of the Caribbean or Perimeter.

Why should ToW be any similar to any of those? :))))

I would disagree with OGSF in some ways about the game FOW. I also played the demo and did enjoy it.As for showw2 I think its a classic wargame that has indeed improved due to modding.

Maybe you not use to RTS games and yes i do concede it can be arcadish (if thats a word) but i think turn based games are not realistic either.

war happens in real time or simultaneously.

At the End of the day this is a game and it will be gamey because its not real. In other words game will always be a game.

Iam personally hoping it has a strong showw2 or fow feel about myself but that is my opinion.

PS..I certainlty dont want a clone but maybe in the same vain as FOW. With a more tatical/strategic edge.

------------------------------

The scale and grandeur of the Russian effort mark it as the greatest military achievement in all history. - General Douglas Macarthur, Supreme Allied Commander of South-West Pacific

Originally posted by Megakill:

Yes, we produced this game, but so what?

Why should ToW be any similar to any of those? :))))

Thanks for the reply, Megakill. I thought there might be some re-use of code and concepts rather than completely new approach. I am pleased to hear it is different.

The FoW graphics were excellent, as was the unit AI - but it felt like "Myth" with WWII graphics to me (actually I liked the camera controls in "Myth" more). And I only played the demo a couple of times, so I didn't even begin to get used to it. The most frustrating thing I found was not being able to zoom out enough to see more of the battlefield, but it is all probably to do with getting used to it.

With ToW, I am hoping for the opportunity to use cover and concealement, "find, fix and flank", use tanks to protect infantry and infantry to protect tanks, use combined arms to resolve tactical WWII miltary problems and so on. The fact that BFC have teamed up on the project gives me confidence, along with your reply to my initial post, that ToW will present those opportunities.

Bring on the demo!!!

Originally posted by Sammy_Davis_Jnr:

Maybe you not use to RTS games and yes i do concede it can be arcadish (if thats a word) but i think turn based games are not realistic either.

war happens in real time or simultaneously.

At the End of the day this is a game and it will be gamey because its not real. In other words game will always be a game.

that depth of thought, those insights...Stransky, is that you? GAZ? Rob/1 ?

man, Sammy Davies Junior, you really sometimes give me a chill with your posts...

...Myth...
ToW with a voice-over that will say "Casualty" (perhaps in a "dry" Russian-accent English, something for you Megakill?) when a friendly unit dies would be awesome. Making molotovs out of the heads of slain enemies would be cool too, but that would crank up the "rating" real bad ("this game has been rated *OMFGPAR* Oh my fricking god, parental advisory required").

Perimeter is still a game I like to play on a daily basis.

As an on topic reply: the only "clunky" interface/battlefield view thing I've noticed is the camera. It doesn't look right, for some reason. I'm going to do all kind of wild camera movements in the demo before I pass a final verdict, however.

Ahhhh Hofbauer are you being cheeky mate

I never said i was a philospher tongue.gif

Your not gonna follow me forever are you and hound me??

Who is GAZ, stransky or rob/1 ?

-------------------------------------

"My Luftwaffe is invincible...And so now we turn to England. How long will this one last - two, three weeks?"

Hermann Goring - June 1940